Can’t get investment loan without owning a house?

Can’t get investment loan without owning a house?

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 16 votes

My wife and I rent in the LA area and entertained the idea of buying a house (laugh track ensues). We connected with an agent and are in the middle of a pre-approval process with a mortgage officer. Today, I let him know our goals are to invest in multifamily homes in the Midwest whatever and asked if getting pre-approved for a home for us would hurt our credit or chances to get pre-approved for rental properties.

So now he’s saying it won’t, but banks won’t approve us for an investment loan unless we already own a house. That sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Is he right? Owning a house in LA is immensely costly and I think we’d rather spend our downpayment cash on something that cash flows.

Tl;dr: loan officer handling our pre-approval application for a house in LA says we won’t get an investment loan until we buy our own house.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

Totally incorrect.....he likely isn’t that dumb, he just realizes he can’t write a loan in the Midwest and would make no commission on that, unlike if you bought a house locally.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric Ippolito:

    My wife and I rent in the LA area and entertained the idea of buying a house (laugh track ensues). We connected with an agent and are in the middle of a pre-approval process with a mortgage officer. Today, I let him know our goals are to invest in multifamily homes in the Midwest whatever and asked if getting pre-approved for a home for us would hurt our credit or chances to get pre-approved for rental properties.

    So now he’s saying it won’t, but banks won’t approve us for an investment loan unless we already own a house. That sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Is he right? Owning a house in LA is immensely costly and I think we’d rather spend our downpayment cash on something that cash flows.

    Tl;dr: loan officer handling our pre-approval application for a house in LA says we won’t get an investment loan until we buy our own house.

    This is 100% false.  It sounds like your loan officer has no clue! 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Totally incorrect.....he likely isn’t that dumb, he just realizes he can’t write a loan in the Midwest and would make no commission on that, unlike if you bought a house locally.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Wayne Brooks I had a major hard money lender tell me that they wont lend to you if you dont own your primary. I was very surprised to hear this.

  • Lender · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 372 votes
    7y

    Well it also depends on 2 major factors.  The type of lender /loan and the type of property.  Most portfolio lenders want you to own your primary residence because they cannot lend to owner occupied properties and with you not owning your primary it's seen as a risk.  However if your first property is, let's say a mixed use or 3-4 units you have a better chances with a portfolio lender.  Lenders who offer conventional loans are a different game all together. 

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    No chance that is correct
    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Tommy CangelosiPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Valdosta, GA · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Eric Ippolito

    WRONG!! (Trump Voice)

    He’s lying or he has absolutely no idea what he’s doing. I bought an investment property with a bank loan before I bought my first personal residence.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    Really appreciate all the replies, everyone!

  • Contractor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 262 posts · 407 votes
    7y
    @Eric Ippolito You need a new lender brother. If you're looking for property in Ohio or Michigan I can connect you with my lenders who are wonderful and will gladly lend you money provided you qualify.
  • Professional · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 262 votes
    7y

    That is complete BS!!! Loan officer is a typical scam scum that is coercing you into purchasing a SFR and not continue to rent. I rent my townhouse and own 6 multi family homes...just saying

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    @Junior Soares I’m actually very much considering Ohio. That’d be great

  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    7y

    It true!  You can't get a loan for an investment property unless you own a home. But wait a minute, I've bought several and I don't own a primary home because I buy long distance from overseas where my wife and I direct a large international service project.  Imagine that!  I don't own a primary and I live overseas and therefore I must be disqualified.  Sorry to sound facetious. Just wanted to have a laugh. Find another lender!

  • Lender · Louisville, KY · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Matthew McNeil

    What most investors don't realize is that in banks / CUs loan officers are not able to provide you with every loan product the bank offers. What the loan officer was likely really saying was that THIER bank requires you to own your home to qualify for the loans that THIS LOAN OFFICER can provide. Who knows why they left this info out. This type of misinformation happens very often. They could have been uneducated about other options or maybe the loan officer they refer those loans to ate all of their Oreos that were in the break room while they were on vacation!! It's hard to tell. Moral of the story is ask at least 3-5 loan officers at different banks before you accept a turn down like this.

  • Contractor · Oxford, MA · Member since 2018 · 807 posts · 745 votes
    7y

    @Eric Ippolito get a new loan officer. He is either incompetent or a liar, I wouldn't do business with him in either case

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.