Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John L.
  • Houston Texas
Votes |
Fat Property - how did the guy do this? Share your story!

John L.
  • Houston Texas
Posted Nov 13 2019, 12:43

A girlfriend of mine lives at a property recently bought by Fat Property.  It used to be owned by a developer in Houston named Randall Davis who I've got to meet a few times.  I've never heard of Fat Property till I saw this (image).  I called my friend who lives there and asked if anything is different at the property.  She said no, except they can now pay online, work requests online, and stuff like that.  I asked if she met the owner and she said no, but the manager there said he comes in every now and then in shorts and flip flops so maybe she missed him.

Anyway, since this is what I want to do (buy cool buildings), I look up Fat Property.  Silly name yes, and it seems like it's just owned by some guy.  And when I say 'some guy' I mean it's not a big company or investment group.  This just seems to be some guy buying properties.

My first thought is "bullsh**".  As in, this is a group that's pretending to be 'some guy' as a regular guy doesn't buy 1500 units (that's what they claim to have).  But then I thought "why would they do that?".  Though I have my doubts.

Given my dream is to build up a portfolio of cool properties, many like the ones he has, can someone tell me how the heck someone does that?  I mean, is there a path?  Like start with wholesale, after being a wholeseller you fix and flip, then rehab, then burrr then buy and hold then?   Or is it just bough one, sell it, buy a bigger one, sell it, etc.

Can anyone that has built a portfolio of 100's or 1000+ units share your story about how you did it?  I'm not talking about people who had parents that left them $10m or people who sold a san francisco or los angles startup for $1b.  But someone that literally bought a first small property and grew.  I've looked at podcasts on this site (I'm a long time lurker) and books but there are not many stories like that and I'd love to hear them. There are books on syndication but I'd like to stay away from that.  I want to buy these on my own.

Cheers,

John

another link 

Loading replies...