Should I loan someone $100k for 10% return?

Should I loan someone $100k for 10% return?

Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 1 vote

I connected with someone that I don't know personally who was looking for an investment partner.  He is a broker but can't get qualify to cover the purchase of a property he wants to fix and flip.  First we thought we'd be 50/50 partners, but then it seemed too complicated and we don't have the same risk tolerance (he doesn't want to get it inspected).   So... he wants to borrow 100k for a 10% return.  I'd get 10% no matter how long the turn is up to a year.  Yes, we'd draw up legal documents and the house would be used as collateral.  Here are my questions.  How much do I get charged in taxes?  Is it the same as ordinary income?  Has anyone done similar?  Is this a good use of my money?  I've been trying to find a better real estate investment but can't find any deals anyway.  Any guidance would be appreciated

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

Passing on an inspection is sometimes good for negotiating. 

What I would do is vet this person before signing any contracts. 

If someone came to me and wanted me to invest 100k on a fix & flip, I would need to know every detail about this person, which contractor they will be using, their track record and previous experience, etc. 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.