How to write an offer with the intention of creating an LLC

6 Replies

If one were to decide to start creating an LLC for each new property at the time you get the contract, what is the proper way to go about writing the offer? Meaning is it okay to put what the LLC's name will be and then sign as member with the intention of having it created immediately upon contract acceptance? I'm sure I could just have one waiting at all times in case I do get a contract but looking for info on the situation I just mentioned (just thinking I suck with names and it would be convenient to name each one after the subject property).

Respectfully not looking for opinions on the merits of titling each property in an LLC at this time.

@Jon K.

If you sign the contract in the name of an entity that does not exist at the time, your contract may be voided.

You can follow this advice

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=69lQs1adQZM

Your name and or designated entity

@Jon K.

I'm not an attorney, but I've created many LLC's, made a lot of offers, and signed a lot of contracts.

I don’t think you want to sign an Offer Letter under the name of an entity that doesn’t exist. Seems like if there were any unexpected hiccups in the eventual purchase, it could end up not going in your favor.

I can tell that if I were the Seller, I would not be comfortable agreeing to such in writing. I would probably say that I'll accept your verbal offer and give you 24 hours to establish the LLC and sign the Letter, or something like that.

Why not just state in the Offer Letter that you plan to establish a [whatever State] LLC upon acceptance of the offer in which you will be the Sole Member, and that the LLC will be the Purchaser, hold Title, etc.

Again, I'm not an attorney, but also when you draft the Operating Agreement for the LLC, I would think you'd want to somehow reference the Offer Letter as a Resolution or somehow incorporate the fact the its binding on the LLC.

For state purposes, even for SM LLC's, the LLC is a separate legal entity from you. The LLC is not you and you are not the LLC. It's a separate entity, which is the whole point of setting it up in the first place. So you just want to be sure and preserve that status.

When I sold a lot to a developer he used his name as buyer  "or entity to be formed" so that's what I've done since then!

Thanks all. Moving forward I'll likely just keep one on the shelf but this helped out this weekend.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here