Beginner House Hacking in NYC

6 Replies

Hello Everyone, I'm a novice to real estate investing and wanted your input on if House Hacking is possible in New York City. Currently saving up $20,000, will that be enough to get started or should I look at out of state single family and multi-family homes?

Originally posted by @Raphael Alexis :

Hello Everyone, I’m a novice to real estate investing and wanted your input on if House Hacking is possible in New York City. Currently saving up $20,000, will that be enough to get started or should I look at out of state single family and multi-family homes?

Hey Raphael, 

This is very difficult to do in NYC. It is possible in some parts of the Bronx and on rare occasions in BK and Queens.

$20K give you enough for a 3.5% down payment on a property valued in the mid-high 500's. You would then have to finance your closing costs since all your money went towards the down payment.

It is a risky potential deal, very difficult to find, but NOT impossible.

Out of state or upstate might be the best route.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Abel

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here