Investing in Reading PA

6 Replies

Has anyone invested in Reading Pennsylvania? I was looking at a house for 40k. It is an old house with wear and tear issues. I am worried if I invested in this house the city inspection would be a hassle plus vacancy duration. I search up online that city inspection love fining landlords for almost anything. What’s your experience was like if you have invested in this city? Any info would help. Thanks !

Hi Anthony, 

Local codes enforcement does run a tight ship in Reading and will come to inspect your property shortly after you register it.  For single family homes the inspection period is every 2 years. 

i only own one rental in Reading and have had good results thus far, but still unsure if it's a city I want to expand in. 

George

@Anthony Hom

I am very familiar with the area, being I live so close but not in the city. I strongly suggest focusing on West reading area better overall and safer emphasis on safer or near temple. Stay away from 8th to 13th street. Hope it helps and please feel free to message me on questions I do not mind helping. ( Not my area of interest so no conflict for me )

Originally posted by @Joshua Rice :

@Anthony Hom

HELLO Joshua I heard that the city inspections are a killer deal to landlords. I don't know if thats really true. I would like to hear your input about it. 

I am very familiar with the area, being I live so close but not in the city. I strongly suggest focusing on West reading area better overall and safer emphasis on safer or near temple. Stay away from 8th to 13th street. Hope it helps and please feel free to message me on questions I do not mind helping. ( Not my area of interest so no conflict for me 

Anthony,

I wanted to take some time to research more into your question. I was able to speak to a gentlemen named Greg who works with Reading City Building Inspections. He stated " We are here to assure to the tenants safety is being looked after by the landlords" Pass reputations of previous landlords who came through have left a sour taste on the cities mouth forcing them to take action and implement more strict measures. They still experience negligence but have been able to curve a lot of it.

Another thing to keep in mind is unless manufacturing comes back from overseas and we stop importing a lot of goods and services Reading will maintain its current track record. The city has the potential to be a manufacturing machine if the circumstances improve. There are hardly any jobs in the city the main reason why the cities housing is so cheap.     

Thanks for the post Joshua. I am interested in Reading area with buy houses all cash, but finding a good tenant to create cash flow is difficult with unemployment and city regulations, I am still looking around so far finding a property manager is hard. I  sent you a private message. 

Originally posted by @Joshua Rice :

Anthony,

I wanted to take some time to research more into your question. I was able to speak to a gentlemen named Greg who works with Reading City Building Inspections. He stated " We are here to assure to the tenants safety is being looked after by the landlords" Pass reputations of previous landlords who came through have left a sour taste on the cities mouth forcing them to take action and implement more strict measures. They still experience negligence but have been able to curve a lot of it.

Another thing to keep in mind is unless manufacturing comes back from overseas and we stop importing a lot of goods and services Reading will maintain its current track record. The city has the potential to be a manufacturing machine if the circumstances improve. There are hardly any jobs in the city the main reason why the cities housing is so cheap.     

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here