Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Victor Wasson
Votes |
First Inspection Questions.

Victor Wasson
Posted Dec 27 2019, 16:11

Finally got an offer accepted on a duplex and I contacted a home inspector to schedule inspection. He inspected the property two weeks ago for a cash buyer that ended up not working out. I still want to meet him there to do another inspection so I can take part. He did offer to give me the report for $150 or do the inspection again for $350. I think the experience for me as a first time buyer and having another look with the inspector are worth the extra 200 dollars in case he may have over looked anything.

The listing realtor offered to give me the results of the inspection because she does not think he should be paid to do the same inspection again. My realtor thinks they may not like the inspector. She said they are willing to make some fixes but wont budge on price since there are to other  backup offers. The listing agent sent the following to my realtor. Hoping to get some thoughts how some of you would proceed or if there are any deal breakers here.

1 - Roof
Recommend flashing and counter flashing installed at chimney for maximum water protection.
2 - Grounds
Water off the roof concentrated in back part of house. Properly installed gutters and down spouts should help.
3 - HVAC
Furnace in 447 would not stay running for me. Recommend further evaluation. Some duct work appears to be wrapped with asbestos. Do not disturb. Recommend qualified removal.
4 - Plumbing
A pipe in crawl space under 447 appears to be covered with asbestos. Do not disturb.
2017 Reliance 40 gallon gas water heater. Hot side leaks. Water stains on the water heater. 445.
5 - Electrical
447 receptacle to right of kitchen sink does not trip.
Loose wires not protected in conduit secured to wall in garage. Recommend repairs.
A fan in 447 appear run using a remote. I cannot get the fan to turn on, and see no chain to pull.
A few receptacles upstairs and down at 445 have no power. You may consider having qualified electrician evaluate.
No power at dining room receptacle in 445. Unclear how many have no power. Too many items in way to see them all.
GFCI receptacle in 445 bath is not grounded. It does not trip using a tester. You may consider some updated wiring.
Knob and tube wiring appears still in service. One or more wire test live. Recommend qualified electrician update.
6 - Bathroom
Bath window in 445 falls in when opened. Tabs holding top in are damaged. Repair recommended. I suspect the parts to
be relatively inexpensive, and appears easy to replace. Safety concern since it hit me in the face when I opened it. $200
7 - Interior Rooms
Recommend connected smoke alarms in each bedroom, adjacent hallway or room, and at furnace. Missing at furnace in
Balusters at top of steps are spaced a little more than 4 inches apart. Suggest repaired
Recommend hand rail installed full run of stairs at 445 for safety.
8 - Attic
Attic access in 447 is not in a safe place. It is partly over the stair well. Recommend moved.
9 - Foundation
- Cement wall next to the furnace in 447 looked wet, so I checked it moisture meter. It is over 20% wet.

- Recommend graspable hand rail entire run of steps to basement in 445.

- Part of foundation in 445 is dirt and it is wet.

- Unclear if cement wall was installed at part of foundation like in 445. Recommend a retaining wall to help support the wall. Wet floor at another part of 445 foundation. Fairly common in City of Manistee, however, recommend take steps to help make more dry.

- Part of foundation in 445 is boarded up. I cannot remove it. Seller needs to take it off for me to see what is behind the wall.

- Found what appears to be asbestos near where found on duct work

Loading replies...