Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Absher
Votes |
Out of State BR(STR)RR Help

Jeremy Absher
Posted Jan 15 2020, 05:46

As a new investor (I'm a high school teacher with two boys) I'm looking for advice/help on investing out of state on my first BRRRR; however, as the title suggests instead of a traditional long term rental I'm wanting to utilize it as a short term rental on platforms like Airbnb and VRBO. I have 4+ years renting out my primary home as a STR so I know the ins and out of the STR business.

I'm looking to purchase a property under $50k with cash, renovate it, furnish it and list it on Airbnb/VRBO and then refinance to get my initial investment out and pay back whoever I borrow the initial money from (I'll probably be putting in around $10-$20k myself).

So far the two markets that interest me the most are the Valdosta, GA market (closer to home ~3.5 hours away) and the Chicago market. They both have inventory of homes below $50k, have a good market for STR as well as a good rent to value ratio for LTR as a fall back plan if something doesn't work out for the STR market.

I'm looking for a good realtor in the Valdosta and Chicago market and/or someone who has knowledge of either of those markets who can steer me away from the war zones and to the areas I should be looking. 

I'm also looking for advice on the best place to look for $40-$50k that is not a traditional bank loan since I'm only wanting to close once after the renovation when I refinance with the bank and do a cash out refinance.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Loading replies...