I may have a haunted house, what to do?

I may have a haunted house, what to do?

Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes

My contractor called me yesterday on a house we own out of state and said "You should check to see if your lot used to be a cemetery, I think your house may be haunted".  

A little background, we bought a house in January that we were planning on using as a summer retreat from the Phoenix heat. It's a nice house on a big lot in a nice suburb of a city we are very familiar with. The original plan was to use it in the summer and then STR Airbnb it in the fall/winter/spring to help cover the expenses. I immediately contacted the neighbor on the lot over whom I've known 20 years and she said she has "seen some things, but they are not harmful".

So this leads to my question of what would you do in my position.  Here are my options

1) Sell the house, purchase price plus repairs total at 250K, I can probably sell the house for 290K.

2) Rent the house, my monthly PITA is $1400, market rent is 2200-2400.

3) Execute the original plan, make friends with the ghosts and move forward.  Airbnb nightly rates for a house that size in that area is about $300 a night.  To break even I need about 7 nights a month, everything after that is profit.

Let me know if I'm not thinking of an option.  I realize all options are not horrible.  

1Reply
169 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

Maybe you can get an upcharge for a "Haunted" rental (???)

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Stone Jin

    You're about to completely disregard your original plan because a contractor told you your house may be haunted? Maybe I'm missing something but this would be a no brainer for me and I would move forward with the original plan. Worst case scenario if you can't use it as STR, see if you can charge the spirits rent.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Maybe you can get an upcharge for a "Haunted" rental (???)

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Lol, I already have 4 roommates (my wife and kids), not sure I need more.  

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I was waiting for the punchline about what constitutes "haunted" ... What did the neighbor see? What is your contractor talking about?  You can't just say that and not have details

    Hate to be the negative guy but there is no "haunted." There IS however carbon monoxide poisoning which can give someone all the symptoms of being in a haunted house --visual and auditory hallucinations, doing things and not remembering, etc. 

    There is also foundation problems, old houses that make noise, etc which makes houses do things by themselves... Heck in my own house one bathroom door is just slightly off balance that if the fart fan is running and the furnace kicks on, the door will move all by itself due to the change in air flow. Very creepy if you don't realize what happened. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed The contractor said that some nights when he is working alone at the house, he heard footsteps going up stairs.  The neighbor has said she has seen "a blonde lady" and her son (16 year old) has seen "a man figure".  She also said that she prayed for the house and now there is no more "activity"

    That's all I got.

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    6y

    Maybe you missunderstood your contractor when he said its haunted. Maybe he meant its haunted with problems. Or maybe the house has a structural demon and should be torn down with a new structure replacing it? 

    been in and out of alot of houses and buildings over the years and sure it can be creepy being alone in a old basement on a old farm but have never seen anything besides plumbing nightmares. 

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Stone Jin:

    @Account Closed The contractor said that some nights when he is working alone at the house, he heard footsteps going up stairs.  The neighbor has said she has seen "a blonde lady" and her son (16 year old) has seen "a man figure".  She also said that she prayed for the house and now there is no more "activity"

    That's all I got.

    Sounds like you need to keep praying and your problem will be gone. 

    Back to Plan A!!

    Seriously though, dont worry about it. You only have to worry about it if you believe in that stuff. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Stone Jin:

    @Account Closed The contractor said that some nights when he is working alone at the house, he heard footsteps going up stairs.  The neighbor has said she has seen "a blonde lady" and her son (16 year old) has seen "a man figure".  She also said that she prayed for the house and now there is no more "activity"

    That's all I got.

    My old house makes more noise when temperature changes or if its windy, and if this house is in Ohio (guessing, based on your location) we have had a bunch of crazy temperature swings, wind, and intermittent rain that makes our soil swell up and push on the foundation, then subside..  The creaking in my house happens especially as the sun sets and the house changes temperature, which is exactly when your contractor says he hears it. I would be a little worried about your contractor's knowledge of homes myself. 

    As for seeing "manly figures" wandering about, that may have been me. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 369 posts · 406 votes
    6y

    No such thing as ghosts or hauntings, keep moving forward with plan A and write the neighbor off as "quirky"

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Stone Jin this is a serious issue. You must sell this house immediately.

    Before you do that, make sure you call GHOSTBUSTERS!

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    There is no such thing as ghosts, however there are plenty of people who believe in ghosts. Room 217 of the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is rumored to be haunted for decades. The wait list to stay in that room is very long. It inspired Stephen King to write The Shining after he stayed there.

    Embrace this "fact" about the house and advertise and promote it. People pay extra to stay at places like this.

    Or

    Ignore and proceed with Plan A because there is no such thing as ghosts.

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 48 votes
    6y

    I once thought my house was haunted. Turned out that a double pane window had a leak and became quite “Spooky” when the wind would blow. Fixed that one quick.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen @Matthew Moore @Doug Pintarch @Account Closed

    Okay, all you advocates for sticking with the original plan.  When I move in and have to pay an exorcist to do voodoo on my children, I'm sending y'all the bill.  :)

  • Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Stone Jin. Looks like I’m the only one that believes in ghosts on this thread! There are too many stories/people I’ve talked to with stories to believe they’re all crazy. Maybe this house is haunted maybe it’s not but ghosts/spirits are reeeeaaaaal!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Chris Miller I believe in them too.  My Dad's old house from the 1800's was haunted.  He, my stepmother, and my younger sister have all heard ghosts in it.  Footsteps walking or clomping up the stairwell and down the hallway.  I never lived in it so wasn't there much, but I did feel a bad vibe in one of the rooms and wanted to get out of there.  

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Stone Jin:

    @Account Closed The contractor said that some nights when he is working alone at the house, he heard footsteps going up stairs.  The neighbor has said she has seen "a blonde lady" and her son (16 year old) has seen "a man figure".  She also said that she prayed for the house and now there is no more "activity"

    That's all I got.

    That all sounds very specific. I'd set up a camera system and a DVR. Rule out the possibility that these ghosts or the neighbor or the 16-year-old son want to rob you first. Then rule out small animal activity making the noises, like raccoons.

    If you're actually worried about the ghost thing, go with Jesus first. Call up your local Greek Orthodox church and ask to have the priest come over and do a blessing. He'll sprinkle holy water in the corners and read prayers, ask him to accept $50 afterwards. None of it's particularly weird, and I personally guarantee it'll be more effective than any voodoo.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Stone Jin

    If there’s something strange in your neighborhood, who are you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Stone Jin:

    If you're actually worried about the ghost thing, go with Jesus first. Call up your local Greek Orthodox church and ask to have the priest come over and do a blessing. He'll sprinkle holy water in the corners and read prayers, ask him to accept $50 afterwards. None of it's particularly weird, and I personally guarantee it'll be more effective than any voodoo.

    Now here is a topic that I haven't seen on BP!!! 

    What religion/denomination is best for exorcisms and/or blessing to protect rentals? Do you wait until you have a spirit and do the banishment or do you get out ahead of the problem with a blessing?  

    I think we can all sink our teeth into this, it being untrod ground and all. Hollywood wants us to think the Catholic Church has his market cornered, but is that true? 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Bill F.:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    If you're actually worried about the ghost thing, go with Jesus first. Call up your local Greek Orthodox church and ask to have the priest come over and do a blessing. He'll sprinkle holy water in the corners and read prayers, ask him to accept $50 afterwards. None of it's particularly weird, and I personally guarantee it'll be more effective than any voodoo.

    Now here is a topic that I haven't seen on BP!!! 

    What religion/denomination is best for exorcisms and/or blessing to protect rentals? Do you wait until you have a spirit and do the banishment or do you get out ahead of the problem with a blessing?  

    I think we can all sink our teeth into this, it being untrod ground and all. Hollywood wants us to think the Catholic Church has his market cornered, but is that true? 

    Well, Jim K did guarantee that Greek Orthodox is more effective than Voodoo...

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Bill F.:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Stone Jin:

    If you're actually worried about the ghost thing, go with Jesus first. Call up your local Greek Orthodox church and ask to have the priest come over and do a blessing. He'll sprinkle holy water in the corners and read prayers, ask him to accept $50 afterwards. None of it's particularly weird, and I personally guarantee it'll be more effective than any voodoo.

    Now here is a topic that I haven't seen on BP!!! 

    What religion/denomination is best for exorcisms and/or blessing to protect rentals? Do you wait until you have a spirit and do the banishment or do you get out ahead of the problem with a blessing?  

    I think we can all sink our teeth into this, it being untrod ground and all. Hollywood wants us to think the Catholic Church has his market cornered, but is that true? 

    Have no doubt, Bill, have no doubt. The Romans are weak on exorcism. You have to go to Eastern Christianity for the good stuff. Without a doubt, exorcism is better done before there's a possession. Think of the ceremony as a prophylactic.

  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    6y

    @Stone Jin I hope you are joking. Unless a ghost slapped you right in the face and told you to leave the property I wouldn't change your plan. The fact that a contractor told you there is a ghost is hearsay and I wouldn't change a major investment decision you are in the middle of executing because of it.

    P.S My house is haunted and it's not that bad. My wife and I went to be bed and started getting intimate and the light went on by itself. We do live in New Orleans so I guess that is pretty normal.

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.853 Reviews
  • David MartinPro Member
    Cypress, TX · Member since 2016 · 137 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    @Stone Jin Two birds with one stone.... while having a blower door test on the house for air leaks, use some burning sage for the tracing of the leaks. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Love it, use Airbnb guests as guinea pigs.  If they can survive the night, so can I!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    6y

    @Jim K. I have that covered, my wife's family has some hardcore Russian Orthodox members.  Might not be a bad idea to just send my mother in law there first! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    6y

    @Stone Jin I mean ghosts and haunted stuff isn't real. There's absolutely no evidence to it and most "supernatural" stuff actually ends up having an explanation such as wind making an old house make noises. Either man up and realize the place is fine, or market it as a haunted STR for enthusiasts to stay at

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.