Votes
Eric C.
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
Anyone ever use a "premium" Selling Agent - 3.5% fee

Eric C.
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Posted May 29 2020, 23:04

I have a 1M investment property I'm looking to sell in CA and noticed a model match closed for $30k higher than the previous comps.  I called the listing agent and he gave me a 1.5 hour presentation about how great of an agent he is and how other agents get steam rolled when they deal with him due to his "success confidence".  I asked him why he thought he was able to get $30k higher than the previous comps, but he just provided general information - good staging, photos, clean up the property, and re-painting the interior.  

When I asked about his commission structure he told me he charges the highest in the area - 3.5% on the sell side (2.5% on buy side so total 6%).  The highest I've heard of in my area is 2.5% and most agents go much lower.  I would say average is 2% with a few broker agents going down to 1%.  All full service agents.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with BOTH a premium selling agent (above average in the area) and a lower fee agent.  Would you pay a premium again?  What do you think was the secret sauce of the premium selling agent?

Loading replies...