User Stats

Votes
Joseph Ramirez
Votes |
First time buyer, my agent not at all as helpful as I need

Joseph Ramirez
Posted Sep 25 2020, 03:00

Hello,

I'm in the process of buying my first property. I found an agent through Zillo but she hasnt really been responsive to my questions and I'm pretty sure she's just trying to work me for the highest commision. The first listings she sent me after I explained what I was looking for, 4 out of 5 of them where significantly higher than the range I requested.

I should also clarify that I'm in Oklahoma. It feels like the gold rush, everyone marking their listings up 20 to 30% hoping some out of stater comes and buys them to grow pot, cash in hand. Properties that have been on the market for years suddenly adding 25% to their ask. I realize it's a sellers market but the markups I'm seeing seem excessive. But again, I'm a noob and I'm way out of my element right now.

So she sent me a listing the other day and it fits my needs. I'm not in love with it, the house is kinda small and I'm expecting it to need a new roof even though I havent actually walked through it yet. But the pics suggests it will need work. But again, it fits my needs for now. However, the ask on it is $110/ft sq which is ~35% higher than most everything else around it. I told her it was pretty much a solid find except for the price, as the same amount can buy a hell of a lot more. But she said the price is good because its on a lake, so its a vacation destination. i dont know about that, the lake only exists to cool the coal plant on the other side of it. But i digress.

I'm hoping someone can advise me cuz I don't really feel like she's gonna do me any favors. This is the listing. It does fit my needs for the most part, which are pretty specific. But the price seems high already to me and it clearly is gonna need work on top of that. Should I walk away? Or should I make an offer proportionate to its value to me? I asked her this yesterday morning and still havent heard back. I'm going to pay in cash, so anyone able to tell me how much I should offer? I'm not in a hurry to buy but my needs are pretty specific so if I'm wrong about everything here, I don't want to miss out on what was right in front of my face. I dunno, am I reading everything wrong?

Loading replies...