Help analyzing my first flip

Help analyzing my first flip

Brandon RibeiroPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 228 posts · 95 votes

So I've managed to find a financial partner that is funding 100% of the deal and 100% of the rehab. I found a shell SFR that I can get for 100k and it will need an additional 100k on the high end to be completed. I pulled comps at 280 for a similar property, but I think I should be able to sell for 290 in this market should it continue for the next 6 months.

Any additional info can be provided, I didn’t want to load this post with numbers and info. Is anyone able to help me analyze this deal or give me their opinion?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Brandon Ribeiro:

So I've managed to find a financial partner that is funding 100% of the deal and 100% of the rehab. I found a shell SFR that I can get for 100k and it will need an additional 100k on the high end to be completed. I pulled comps at 280 for a similar property, but I think I should be able to sell for 290 in this market should it continue for the next 6 months.

Any additional info can be provided, I didn’t want to load this post with numbers and info. Is anyone able to help me analyze this deal or give me their opinion?

- It meets the 70% ARV rule, so your off to a good start.

- Though doing full guts can get costly and take a lot of time! If you are experienced in this then I'd say use your own judgment, however if this is your first deal, Id say look for a cosmetic flip.

- A lot can go wrong when your replacing electric, plumbing, drywall, HVAC, framing.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Ribeiro:

    So I've managed to find a financial partner that is funding 100% of the deal and 100% of the rehab. I found a shell SFR that I can get for 100k and it will need an additional 100k on the high end to be completed. I pulled comps at 280 for a similar property, but I think I should be able to sell for 290 in this market should it continue for the next 6 months.

    Any additional info can be provided, I didn’t want to load this post with numbers and info. Is anyone able to help me analyze this deal or give me their opinion?

    - It meets the 70% ARV rule, so your off to a good start.

    - Though doing full guts can get costly and take a lot of time! If you are experienced in this then I'd say use your own judgment, however if this is your first deal, Id say look for a cosmetic flip.

    - A lot can go wrong when your replacing electric, plumbing, drywall, HVAC, framing.

  • Brandon RibeiroPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 228 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Steven Foster Wilson thank you for your advice. I did forget to mention the house is completely gutted and they started re-framing. According to the agent, they were supposed to be finished with this flip but then covid hit and really messed them up with the contractors not being able to work and such.

    So the house is gutted, all new subfloors and its about 90% framed. I liked it because that way there is no surprises with taking down drywall and finding a nightmare, there literally is not a single sheet of drywall in the house

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Ribeiro:

    @Steven Foster Wilson thank you for your advice. I did forget to mention the house is completely gutted and they started re-framing. According to the agent, they were supposed to be finished with this flip but then covid hit and really messed them up with the contractors not being able to work and such.

    So the house is gutted, all new subfloors and its about 90% framed. I liked it because that way there is no surprises with taking down drywall and finding a nightmare, there literally is not a single sheet of drywall in the house

    Thats a plus. Demo work is the worst!

    Do you have experience with flips? 

  • Brandon RibeiroPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 228 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Steven Foster Wilson this would be my first one. I have construction experience and would be using my friends construction company which I trust

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Ribeiro:

    @Steven Foster Wilson this would be my first one. I have construction experience and would be using my friends construction company which I trust

     Construction experience is great! But if this is your first one I'd find a partner who has flip experience, or be willing to make $0. It'll be a good learning experience regardless.

    However have a plan B incase the market goes south, will it rent, can you refinance?

  • Brandon RibeiroPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 228 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Steven Foster Wilson well its a flip, so we’d be rehabbing and selling it. Since I’m a real estate agent I would be making commission on the buying of the property, and again on the selling side. I would be the one to list it

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Ribeiro:

    @Steven Foster Wilson well its a flip, so we’d be rehabbing and selling it. Since I’m a real estate agent I would be making commission on the buying of the property, and again on the selling side. I would be the one to list it

    Thats good. Just want to protect yourself from loosing money. If rehab is planned at 100k but is actually 150k you just reduced your profit.

    Id run worse case scenario. If it still works, then Id move forward with it! 

  • Brandon RibeiroPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 228 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Steven Foster Wilson hey, for my first flip I’m ok with taking the bad end of the stick. I ultimately want to keep my financial partner happy, because id like to continue working with him, and eventually just use him as a lender once I gain his trust. Worst case scenario I still walk away with my commission! But id be ok with that as an absolute worst case scenario because its a learning experience 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Brandon Ribeiro Do it. Keep us updated along the way, would love to see how it turns out!

  • Brandon RibeiroPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 228 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Steven Foster Wilson I definitely will! Thanks again

  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 310 votes
    5y

    Hi Brandon, one thing you might want to consider is doing sensitivity analysis on your underwriting. It's basically running your numbers over a few standard deviations of key areas to get a better sense for the risk profile. Doing this responsibly and showing it to your financial partner can also increase his confidence in you and the project. 

  • Brandon RibeiroPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 228 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Shafi Noss can you elaborate or dm me how I can go about this process? I definitely want to impress my financial partner/ lender

  • Jeff MoorePro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Vincentown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    How many bed/bath?  What is the ft2?  septic and well or both city?  Add up all you holding costs for at least 6 months.  Interest, taxes, 4% cost to sell the house (instead of 7% bc you will list), insurance, gas, electric, plus at least a 10K oops on rehab estimate     

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.