How to get keys made for vacant home

6 Replies

Hey BP Folks I was wondering how would I go about getting some keys made for a vacant house. The owner lives out of state and wants to get rid of the house.The house is not completely ran down cosmetics on the outside it looks decent but I can’t look in the inside what do I do how do I get inside thanks

With the owners permission, can you "Jimmy" your way inside? i lost the keys to my workshop and was able to use old credit cards to get inside. Or maybe an unlocked window. other than than, you will have to get the owners permission and call a locksmith out. 

I am assuming you bought the place or want to.  The owner can call a locksmith  and tell him to rekey it and give you a copy of the key and send one to him.  Or if the owner really wants to get rid of it, they can come down and let you in.

@Theresa Harris

Locksmith is the best route but not free.

Check all of the windows, I have had to crawl through one or two before.

For the cost of a stamp and a $1.69 key at Lowe’s the owner could mail you a key.

Then you can get into jimmying, drilling locks, kicking doors in, etc. - but all of those are more likely to get the cops to show up. 😀

You can have him scan the key via Bed Bath and Beyond and they'll rekey it for you at a local branch. Technology these days .. 

Originally posted by @David Lee Hall, III :

@Theresa Harris

Locksmith is the best route but not free.

Check all of the windows, I have had to crawl through one or two before.

For the cost of a stamp and a $1.69 key at Lowe’s the owner could mail you a key.

Then you can get into jimmying, drilling locks, kicking doors in, etc. - but all of those are more likely to get the cops to show up. 😀

I wasn't the original poster.  I agree with all except the last set which would cause damage...and likely a call to the police.