Self-employed seeking a mortgage - but how?

Self-employed seeking a mortgage - but how?

Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 108 posts · 33 votes

Hey guys, the past few years have been frustrating for me - I am self-employed and qualify in every way for a mortgage except for NET income because I write off a lot of expenses for tax purposes. Being in a tough industry with slim profit margins, we usually try to minimize our tax bill each year. Is the answer really to take the tax hit for a couple years, then hope that it's enough income to qualify? Is NET income exclusively derived from tax returns? Whenever I've spoken to bankers/lenders in the past, NET income is the wall we can't get past. Is private money my only option? We don't really want to wait 2 more years to show the amount of NET income needed on tax returns. 

I can easily afford a house payment each month and am trying to find a house for my army veteran mom. She has had a hard life and deserves to settle down to live her final years in peace. We are seeking something modest, 300k tops, but NET income on my tax returns continues to be the bane of our existence. Should I try to find a co-signer? No one in my family can do it. Private money? Any ideas would be sincerely appreciated, my mom will most likely have to move this year due to the landlord selling the property she currently rents.

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Tucson, AZ · Member since 2017 · 118 posts · 40 votes
5y

If your mothers a vet why not use that to get a VA loan? Partner with her, and house hack a small multifamily.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Chris M.

    You could do a bank statement loan. They look at your gross income via your deposits.  My lender does it.  direct message me if you want a referral.

  • Contractor · Orofino ID, Hollister CA · Member since 2021 · 139 posts · 71 votes
    5y

    I have the exact same problem. I have contacted Hard money and it is possible that way but with 4 points and 25% down that was for a 3 unit multi family as well.  Not sure how it would work for a Single.

    @David M I will message you as well if thats ok. Bank statement shows plenty of income.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2017 · 118 posts · 40 votes
    5y

    If your mothers a vet why not use that to get a VA loan? Partner with her, and house hack a small multifamily.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.