Buying Properties -With Utilities Cut off

6 Replies

I'm looking at buying a property with cash where the utilities are cut off . Typically I'd have a property inspector inspect the property before buying it but since the utilities aren't on should I just Have an Electrician, Plumber, and HVAC tech inspect the property instead ? How would you move forward ?

Originally posted by @Ashley Davis:

I'm looking at buying a property with cash where the utilities are cut off . Typically I'd have a property inspector inspect the property before buying it but since the utilities aren't on should I just Have an Electrician, Plumber, and HVAC tech inspect the property instead ? How would you move forward ?

During the inspection period you can pay to have the utilities turned on for one day to let the property be inspected.  Or put in the offer that the seller will have all utilities on for the inspection.  Plumbing can be tested for some types of leaks by a pressure test if they won't turn on the water.

Doesn’t matter if electric is on or not.  Still get an inspection 
I would call inspectors and ask them for suggestions.  I’m sure they have delt with this before 

None of the houses I buy ever have the electric on which means no water as they are in wells and have septic 

Originally posted by @Ashley Corbett :

@Lynnette E. I’m not sure if it’s a red flag or not but it lists in the mls that the seller will not turn on any utilities or make any repairs

Ask the realtor why.  Have the realtor ask does the seller care if the BUYER pays to turn the utilities on?  It maybe that the seller does not want to pay the deposits that are required or that there are bills attached to the account he does not want to pay.  It also may be that he knows the plumbing leaks and the electrical is unsafe or in need of repairs.