Rental Property Investor · Vienna, VA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 8 votes
I've got a lot of equity built up in a property in CA that I'd like to access to remodel my primary residence, but if I sell it, I'm going to get slammed with taxes on capital gains and depreciation recapture. Does anyone know a way to avoid this? I've already hit the ceiling on cash-out refinancing ($510k conforming loan limit). A 1031 exchange wouldn't solve anything, because we're looking to remodel an existing residence, not buy a new property. Please let me know if there are any other tax loopholes I'm missing here. It's frustrating to have all that equity just sitting there.
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
5y
@Christopher D., In a 1031 you only have to purchase at least as much property as you sell. And use all of the net proceeds to do that. You can allocate the proceeds in any way you want. And you can buy more than one property.
So what if you did a 1031 exchange and purchased two replacement properties. One for cash and one with maximum financing.
Then when the 1031 is complete you have a free and clear investment property you can now do a cash out refi on within your limits . And use that to improve your existing property.