Costar cost? Any alternatives?

Costar cost? Any alternatives?

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hello Friends,

I am new to this forum or real estate investing for that matter. 
Wondering if you guys know how much would Costar would cost.
Any other alternatives to Costar and why?

Thanks in Advance!

FYI: My search criteria for Costar is - Multifasmily in Northern California.

0Reply
700 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 81 posts · 58 votes
3y

This is where a commercial broker can help you save money and time; When you interview any broker, confirm they have CoStar, CREXI, Catylist, their local MLS and Commercial MLS, are members of the local Commercial REALTOR council, and receive other brokers IDX feeds. You will find lots of Carpetbaggers trying out commercial from residential as the residential markets shift. It takes $14-20k per year to participate fully in datasources for most markets plus hours per week to see all the listings and movement. Finally, if you want a broker to be fully committed, consider retaining them in an exclusive agreement.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 104 votes
    3y

    Depending on the # of licenses, Costar might range from $300-$450/month per user.  

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Parikshith Gari

    Last time we checked I believe it was $10-$15k/yr and if you wanted more territory pricing was higher.

    Crexi is an alternative for 1/10th the price but of course not as much info

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Realtor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 81 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    This is where a commercial broker can help you save money and time; When you interview any broker, confirm they have CoStar, CREXI, Catylist, their local MLS and Commercial MLS, are members of the local Commercial REALTOR council, and receive other brokers IDX feeds. You will find lots of Carpetbaggers trying out commercial from residential as the residential markets shift. It takes $14-20k per year to participate fully in datasources for most markets plus hours per week to see all the listings and movement. Finally, if you want a broker to be fully committed, consider retaining them in an exclusive agreement.

  • Member since 2021 · 82 posts · 86 votes
    3y

    I believe Costar pricing depends on what market area you want, but for a single license, I'd expect >$500/mo.

    If you're new to investing, I'd suggest working with an agent, at least until you better understand the process and common pitfalls. 

    The cheapest/potentially no-cost option is just doing public records searches and contacting owners directly. You can also network with commercial agents and sign non-exclusive representation agreements for the stuff they bring you.  

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Depending on the # of licenses, Costar might range from $300-$450/month per user.  


    Thanks for the Reply!
    I was been quoted $925 per month (1-2 users). I am just a beginner/aspirant. No transactions under my belt. I am feeling like they are asking is outrageous. Could you please help me, get in touch with the right agent?
    Thanks!

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Josh Shaughnessy:

    I believe Costar pricing depends on what market area you want, but for a single license, I'd expect >$500/mo.

    If you're new to investing, I'd suggest working with an agent, at least until you better understand the process and common pitfalls. 

    The cheapest/potentially no-cost option is just doing public records searches and contacting owners directly. You can also network with commercial agents and sign non-exclusive representation agreements for the stuff they bring you.  


     Thank You! Definitely will consider your suggestion.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Russ Kitzberger:

    This is where a commercial broker can help you save money and time; When you interview any broker, confirm they have CoStar, CREXI, Catylist, their local MLS and Commercial MLS, are members of the local Commercial REALTOR council, and receive other brokers IDX feeds. You will find lots of Carpetbaggers trying out commercial from residential as the residential markets shift. It takes $14-20k per year to participate fully in datasources for most markets plus hours per week to see all the listings and movement. Finally, if you want a broker to be fully committed, consider retaining them in an exclusive agreement.

    Thank You!
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Parikshith Gari

    Last time we checked I believe it was $10-$15k/yr and if you wanted more territory pricing was higher.

    Crexi is an alternative for 1/10th the price but of course not as much info

    Thank You!
  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Parikshith Gari:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Depending on the # of licenses, Costar might range from $300-$450/month per user.  


    Thanks for the Reply!
    I was been quoted $925 per month (1-2 users). I am just a beginner/aspirant. No transactions under my belt. I am feeling like they are asking is outrageous. Could you please help me, get in touch with the right agent?
    Thanks!


     Were you able to find help with CoStar?

  • Developer · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2008 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Reonomy is about $400 a month, but I have been doing mailings and 30% come back.  I dont this their fault. People buy real estate and move. 

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    I recently started using rel.network. Only $50 a month and works on my phone

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Shalom:

    I recently started using rel.network. Only $50 a month and works on my phone


     Can you get me an invite to it? 

  • Investor's Agent · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Parikshith Gari:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Depending on the # of licenses, Costar might range from $300-$450/month per user.  


    Thanks for the Reply!
    I was been quoted $925 per month (1-2 users). I am just a beginner/aspirant. No transactions under my belt. I am feeling like they are asking is outrageous. Could you please help me, get in touch with the right agent?
    Thanks!

    Searching the Internet drive me to this out and chat, but in case it helps someone else, two years ago I start paying $495 a month in a one year subscription net 30 plan. At this moment in 2024 it has increased to $519.75 net 30 with automatic renewal yearly subscription.
    However, it is not every information/data you’ll find there, especially if you are looking for a specific property only. For general information, capital market, submarket, and many other analysis, yes, it is good.
    Hope it helps,
  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2019 · 165 posts · 100 votes
    2y

    Costar is the Goliath of the commercial property and company data. Solo brokers at a boutique may pay up to $650 per license, while those with bulk pricing at a major commercial firm can get it for under $400 per license. Crexi Pro has added features to their platform and the data is getting better, but it's no Costar yet. Yet, for the non-broker investor, what you can get off Crexi is likely a better option for most investor budgets. A few lesser names out there like RealNex have some features, but honestly didn't find much value there outside of their listing platform if you're an active broker in that space.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    Hey guys, new here — just came across this thread. I hear you on the CoStar pricing — it can be brutal for smaller firms and solo investors. I’ve seen people pay eye-watering amounts just to get access to fairly basic data.

    I've been in CRE research for 30 years, and part of what I do is help investors access the full platform in a way that doesn’t require the same massive overhead. Alongside that, I also look at cap rates, yields, rental growth, and market shifts.

    If anyone’s curious, I’ve put together some proof videos where I show how I forecast and back-test outcomes against the real world. Happy to point you to them if it helps.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.