Votes
Michael Loftus
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Votes |
Strip Mall Deal Structure

Michael Loftus
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Posted May 26 2023, 04:57

I have an opportunity to purchase a small, corner strip mall with a laundromat. Several tenants have been in place for 10 plus yrs and the laundromat needs a retool which I would run. Question is:What's the best way to set up the management structure if I own the property and operate one of the businesses as well?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 26 2023, 05:21
Quote from @Michael Loftus:

I have an opportunity to purchase a small, corner strip mall with a laundromat. Several tenants have been in place for 10 plus yrs and the laundromat needs a retool which I would run. Question is:What's the best way to set up the management structure if I own the property and operate one of the businesses as well?

Set the laundromat as a separate business than the center. 

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 29 2023, 12:21

LLC to own real estate, separate LLC to own laundromat, need a somewhat arm's length lease between the two entities.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied May 30 2023, 04:52

@Michael Loftus I think the main thing to consider is whether you will sell the laundromat in the future or if you will hold the entire deal and sell them together someday. You will obviously want to have separate businesses here so you can create a more legitimate lease that works with the laundromat once you get it up and running. Then you have the opportunity to go whichever direction makes sense. 

A lot of small businesses end up buying the building for themselves. It creates an advantages tax structure for you since you can move money back and forth between the real estate or the business and charge yourself what you need internally. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo