Commercial building remodeling ideas?

6 Replies

There's tons of sites dedicated to giving design/remodel ideas for homes, any good sites out there where one would be able to get ideas on retail/office design? Outdoor facade, interior, etc.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

Here are some ideas:

1.  New landscaping - drought tolerant landscaping can look great and save a lot on water bills. Many water agencies provide rebates and incentives which can help offset costs.

2.  Facade renovations - Making the facade more attractive can transform a new center's image and increase the attainable rents.

3.  New Pylon Sign - A new pylon/monument sign can also help change the image of a center, increase the visibility for the tenant's businesses, and be a great advantage/benefit for tenants.

4.  Parking lot seal/stripe - This can help a parking area to look fresh and clean

Besides the above items, maintenance can be even more important than upgrading a center.  Just making sure that all the common area lights are working, having a weekly sweeping/landscaping/pressure washing maintenance service can make a big difference.  

Good Luck!

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

This is a great question. I am looking forward to getting some good suggestions from people.

I read one book that focuses largely on the psychological impact of storefronts and streetscapes. The book is "The Walkable City" by Jeff Speck. A text book that has great information but is a dry read is "Cities for People" by Jan Gehl.

A good book on construction processes such as lean construction, design-build etcetera is "The Commercial Real Estate Revolution" I don't remember the author.

I had a hard time finding books with actual design ideas, except for restaurants where there are several great books that have a fairly scientific approach to restaurant design.

Gotta go

@Josh Beroukhim Great points! Would you happen to have any contacts for exterior renovations and pylon signs? I'm in the Orange County area. My commercial building is from the late 60's although it's kept up and painted, it could use a face lift.

Originally posted by @Chris H. :

@Josh Beroukhim Great points! Would you happen to have any contacts for exterior renovations and pylon signs? I'm in the Orange County area. My commercial building is from the late 60's although it's kept up and painted, it could use a face lift.

I haven't used any of these companies but did some research a while back when I was considering a facade renovation.  A few active companies seem to be:

-http://www.davidhidalgoarchitects.com/facaderenova...

-http://www.nsmc.com/  National Signs and Marketing

It also might be worth a try calling the City and checking if them have any programs (incentives/rebates) for facade renovations and new pylon signs.  Most importantly, it's important that the changes you're making will enable you to charge higher rents or to have a greater likelihood of keeping tenants.  Otherwise, it may not be worth the time and money if all the tenants are on long-term leases or will refuse to pay higher rent.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Chris H. :

Chris,

I am a property manager that worked for years in Irvine. I sent you a PM regarding contacts.

Josh