Bridge Loan Underwriting Question – St. Louis Investment Property

Bridge Loan Underwriting Question – St. Louis Investment Property

Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes

I’m hoping to get some insight from investors who have dealt with bridge loan underwriting.

I own a fully renovated single-family investment property in St. Louis with a Certificate of Occupancy, and I’m refinancing an existing private loan rather than purchasing a new property.

A lender recently declined the file because they could not verify a few months within the required 12-month payment history as consecutive under their underwriting guidelines. From my understanding, the issue is related to how those months were documented rather than the property’s condition.

I’m trying to better understand my financing options.

For those who have been through something similar:

  • Have you seen bridge lenders evaluate this type of situation differently?
  • Is a short-term bridge loan followed by a rate-and-term refinance a common approach?
  • Are there other financing structures I should be considering?

I’m interested in learning from others’ experiences and appreciate any insight.

1Reply
150 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Terry Garrett:

    I’m hoping to get some insight from investors who have dealt with bridge loan underwriting.

    I own a fully renovated single-family investment property in St. Louis with a Certificate of Occupancy, and I’m refinancing an existing private loan rather than purchasing a new property.

    A lender recently declined the file because they could not verify a few months within the required 12-month payment history as consecutive under their underwriting guidelines. From my understanding, the issue is related to how those months were documented rather than the property’s condition.

    I’m trying to better understand my financing options.

    For those who have been through something similar:

    • Have you seen bridge lenders evaluate this type of situation differently?
    • Is a short-term bridge loan followed by a rate-and-term refinance a common approach?
    • Are there other financing structures I should be considering?

    I’m interested in learning from others’ experiences and appreciate any insight.


     This might be a lender specific criteria. There are many bridge lenders that do not really care about your mortgage payment history as long as there is not a late payment reflected on your credit report. 

    Is there a reason why you are going with a bridge loan rather than a regular long-term 30 year fixed mortgage? 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Erik Estrada 

      Thanks, Erik. I appreciate the feedback. The existing loan has matured, which has made a conventional long-term refinance more difficult. That’s why I’m evaluating bridge financing as a way to stabilize the property, avoid foreclosure, and either sell the property or refinance into permanent financing afterward. Fortunately, one lender recently confirmed that the mortgage delinquency has not been reported to my credit, which may provide additional flexibility.

  • Stacy RaskinBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 503 votes
    2mo

    Some lenders do want verifiable mortgage history and if it's not on your credit report, they will want you to produce mortgage statements showing on time payment history or at the minimum not payments that are 30 days or more late. There are other lending options that may not verify mortgage history. It's fairly common to verify mortgage history during mortgage underwriting. 

    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Stacy Raskin 

      Thanks, Stacy. That’s very helpful. One lender recently pulled my credit and confirmed that the mortgage delinquency has not been reported, so that’s encouraging. I’m finding that every bridge lender has slightly different underwriting requirements, so I’m comparing a few options while working to resolve a matured loan. I appreciate your insight.

    • Stacy RaskinBusiness Member
      Lender · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 503 votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Terry Garrett:

      @Stacy Raskin 

      Thanks, Stacy. That’s very helpful. One lender recently pulled my credit and confirmed that the mortgage delinquency has not been reported, so that’s encouraging. I’m finding that every bridge lender has slightly different underwriting requirements, so I’m comparing a few options while working to resolve a matured loan. I appreciate your insight.


       Sure, you're welcome. Yes, different bridge loan lenders will generally have different loan guidelines that a borrower has to satisfy with paperwork. Sometimes there's overlapping guidelines but not usually identical guidelines between bridge lenders. 

  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo

    we would be happy to take a look. We will not be asking for verification of mortgage history on your current loan. 

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Matthew Crivelli 

      Thanks, Matthew. I appreciate you reaching out. I’ll send you a direct message with a few details about the transaction to see if it might be a fit. Thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.