Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Bethel
  • Investor
  • Hayesville, NC
Votes |
Keep as Restaurant or Convert to another use?

Jonathan Bethel
  • Investor
  • Hayesville, NC
Posted Jan 28 2016, 10:11

Hi all.  I currently have a contract and am in due diligence on a foreclosed commercial property that was a popular deli/sandwich restaurant.  It still has almost all of the equipment as it looks like the owner cleaned up and closed the doors.  I do not have a desire to be an operator of a restaurant and my plan is to lease the space.  To do a cosmetic rehab it will cost around $30k.  But in order to get it back to restaurant ready it will require several other fixes and upgrades to meet health inspection requirements. I do not know yet exactly how much this would cost but my thoughts are $10-$25k.  

My question for everyone is do I repair and update and lease as a restaurant?  Or do I sell the used equipment, rehab and target a broader type of tenant?  The building is capable of being split into 2-3 units and would obviously cost above $30k to rehab because of the framing, wiring, plumbing etc of the separate units.  

The reason I am having some trouble with this decision is the dynamics of the market the property is located in.  It is a very small town. Most of the residents are low-middle class(20k-45k income) or they are 2nd home owners and retirees.  It is a tough market for a restaurant as well as most types of non professional business.  Another concern is that the property is set up as a deli style establishment so other restaurant concepts may not work without changing the layout.  For example, a Japanese steakhouse most likely would require some different features and/or layout.

Maybe I am jumping the gun and overthinking all of this but any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...