Why Isn't Anyone Talking About Self Storage??

Why Isn't Anyone Talking About Self Storage??

Roswell, GA · Member since 2012 · 79 posts · 94 votes

Just a quick disclaimer.  This is a really long post.  Also I am also now employed by a self storage operator so my opinion is probably is not objective.

I was a professional sale person who "retired" on 3/31/2018 to launch the investment arm of self storage business due to my belief in the fundamentals of this asset class.  I have invested my own capital in multifamily and I have successfully syndicated multifamily deals over the past 8 years.  That being said, I don't think we as investors as giving self storage its' due....

We have all seen the cap rates in commercial multifamily compress and as a syndicator it has been very challenging to find deals even with operators who have significant experience ($1Billion+ AUM) and leverage in the marketplace.  I am not saying they don't exist but certainly the environment has changed over the past 2 years.  

As I started to explore other asset classes to find returns for myself and my investors I came across self storage.   As savvy as the BP community is, nobody is talking about this asset class!  Here are the 4 reasons I think we should be:

1. Asset Class Returns:

According to the National Association of REIT (Real Estate Investment Trusts) the Self-Storage sector produced an average of 17.43% annual return from 1994-2017. For comparison here are the returns from other REIT sectors over the same time period. Self Storage outperforms apartments by 4+%

For illustration, let’s assume you invested $100,000 in each one of the REITS above in 1994. You also reinvested your annual returns back into the fund at the end of each year, creating a compounded return. What would that investment look like 23 Years later?

2. Downside Protection:

According to the NAREIT the self-storage asset class also outperformed other sectors in the most recent recession. From 2007-2009 the self-storage sector produced an average of -3.80%. For comparison, here are the returns from the other REIT sectors over that same time period:

Why was self-storage able to outperform almost every REIT sector during the most recent recession? And why is this sector somewhat insulated to the impact the recession had on other market sectors?

When the economy is good, and disposable income is on the rise, people buy more “stuff” and need a place to store it. In the midst of the recession, when homeowners were losing their homes to foreclosure or downsizing to apartments, they also needed a place to put their stuff. Where do they go? Self-storage units! At the heart of this issue is the fact that Americans have a culture of buying too many things and we can’t seem to get rid of most of it. The demand curve for self-storage seems to be inelastic which helps pull the sector through major downturns. Estimates are that one-third of storage space is filled with items that have been there for over three years.

3.Rent Growth and Positive Net Operating Income

In-place self-storage tenants are generally not price sensitive, as the self-storage rental fee is normally a small portion of a tenant’s monthly disposable income. This allows operators to raise rents as the market demand grows without an impact on occupancy. For example if you are paying $100 a month for your 10x10 storage unit and the rent goes up 6 % to $106 a month most tenants are not price sensitive enough to rent a moving truck and spend a Saturday moving to another storage facility.

In addition, there is minimal communication between different tenants at a given facility, which allows for the operator to selectively adjust rental rates for individual tenants. 

What does this rent growth allow for? An increase in net operating income drives increased value of the property which drives returns for us as the investor. 

4.Fragmented Market

Nearly 80% of self-storage properties remain in the hands of small, independent investors. The sector’s solid past performance has begun to capture the attention of large institutional investors. Larger properties in particular are increasingly the subject of interest from institutional buyers, including the larger self-storage companies that run themselves as real estate investment trusts (REITs). The top 6 public companies control approximately 18% of all the facilities with the remaining approximately 82% of the facilities controlled by independent owners. This fragmentation should provide for the opportunity for well capitalized and sophisticated operators to selectively target individual assets and portfolios at attractive cap rates. Consolidation will allow some of these operators to amass attractive portfolios of assets and emerge as large industry players. Once stabilized these portfolios become attractive assets for a REIT to purchase and create an attractive exit for investors.  Sound familiar?  This was where multifamily was in 2011!!

It's my mission to bring the value of self storage to the BP community!  Why are we not talking about this more?  There isn't even a category in the forums on it!  No fear BP community, I am going to bring self storage data to you!  Would love feedback from the community on the post!

Kris

15Reply
276 views

Most Popular Reply

Yelm, WA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 84 votes
8y

I’m closing on a storage facility next week that is exactly what a lot of people look for in residential: poor management and value-add opportunities. Resident manager apartment on site and the implementation of automation will make it easy for me to be minimally involved once I get renovations done and everything on track.

I’ve done my numbers over and over, and within a year, I’ll have doubled the value. It’s in a military town where all storage facilities are at 100% occupancy with a waiting list. It absolutely IS real estate and I’m excited about this purchase!

See this reply in the discussion

66 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @Kris Benson we have tons of new (empty) self storage in my city. Some units down the road just got broken into. The units are less than three years old and they popped the locks on half of them looking for valuables. One down side I see is that younger generations are embracing more of a minimalist life style. The boomers still have tons of crap and they are downsizing, but when they die I am not sure their kids are going to keep all their crap.

    One segment of self storage I think is interesting is the "man cave" units. They are heated and cooled, with a bathroom. Perfect for a hobby mechanic or for toy storage. It is kind of a higher end niche so seems like it is less of a commodity. At least in my area.

    @Anthony Dooley whether you rent a house where people live, a commercial space where a business is occupied, a storage space where possessions are stored or land that is farmed; it is all real estate investing. As far as your hotel example, it is real estate just as much as apartment buildings or short term rentals. This website is mostly focused on residential real estate, but commercial real estate and farm land are huge industries too. The BP podcast has featured guests who invest in storage units, so they seem to disagree with you too. Go look on LoopNet for commercial real estate and you will find liquor stores, hotels, apartment buildings, land, commercial. Sorry, @George Fitz is right on this one.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Liquor store and many other (non-tech) businesses do not sell for 15x earnings nor do they have real estate type financing.  You can call it what you want...valuation, financing, and management are what matters.

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Joe Splitrock I guess we just disagree. I will stick with my opinion and you are welcome to yours.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Thanks Kris, agree.  It's a top 3 commercial real estate asset class from a historical returns perspective and holds up well surprisingly during downturns.  I've reviewed the sector for the past year or so and have investors in these deals for a reason.  Couple additional thoughts on why I like it and will continue to invest in it.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/9145/70861-top...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/9145/54155-sel...

    I'm playing it a couple ways through single asset plays in markets I really like (i.e Atlanta / SE) and in investment pools that own several across the country in high growth markets for more instant diversification.  Some of my investors are concerned about over supply but one of the beautiful things about the business is the objective 1,3 and 5 mile D/S metrics that can help you understand quickly if you are at market equilibrium, or how much over / under supplied the market is.  Many of these plays will likely exit in 2-3 years and like you said, sell to REITs who want the slow and study return.  

    Value add w/the right operators is key especially given the fragmentation opportunities available for companies w/experience and scale.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 501 posts · 504 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    ATMs as an asset class sounds good too........but now just like everthing else.  Its slim pickings for the latecomers.

    I dont hear the Costa Rica coconut tree guys anymore.

     I would think ATMs are getting less profitable as more and more transactions don't require cash. But I never really looked into them to know. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 501 posts · 504 votes
    8y

    I've never seriously considered self-storage, but as an outsider, the first question that comes to my mind is, "Are the barriers to entry low?" What's to keep someone else from building one across the street from you? And maybe it's a national chain that can undercut you on price, and has a bigger marketing budget. 

    Do any of the big chains offer franchises? That means that they'll let anyone open one up and the parent company doesn't even care if it's profitable. I read something like that happened with UPS stores.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Paul B.:

    Target demographic.

    • under-banked
    • lack of credit...credit card
    • heavy cash users
    • government assistance now provided on EBT cards (this is big for ATM usage)
    • expanded use of prepaid debit cards from employers and others
    • growing lower class
    • digital signage/billboards
    • box advertising
    • video advertising
    • future - couponing sent to mobile phones when someone walks by the ATM
  • Roswell, GA · Member since 2012 · 79 posts · 94 votes
    8y

    @Paul B.  Barriers to entry are quite high since most municipalities do not want more self storage in their commercial infill areas.  It is not as desirable as M.F. , residential, or commercial.  

    20% of the S.S. market is owned by 6 REIT.  These REIT's do not own franchises but certainly have the infrastructure to expand wherever they see the demand.  Where we have seen success is entering the secondary and tertiary markets creating value and exiting to a REIT who wants a stabilized asset.

  • Yelm, WA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 84 votes
    8y

    I’m closing on a storage facility next week that is exactly what a lot of people look for in residential: poor management and value-add opportunities. Resident manager apartment on site and the implementation of automation will make it easy for me to be minimally involved once I get renovations done and everything on track.

    I’ve done my numbers over and over, and within a year, I’ll have doubled the value. It’s in a military town where all storage facilities are at 100% occupancy with a waiting list. It absolutely IS real estate and I’m excited about this purchase!

  • Roswell, GA · Member since 2012 · 79 posts · 94 votes
    8y

    Congrats @Wendy Carpenter  that's what it is all about!

  • Benton City, WA · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 50 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @George Fitz:

    @Dawn Young If you can find the right piece of land, then you could start out small and grow. I haven't done this myself, but lots of people are buying shipping containers, subdividing them and renting them out as storage. I've heard there are lots of benefits to this, as they are not considered permanent structures. 

    We have thought of that!  I love that idea. ok, for this, I am talking SMALL.  So, obviously I'd be crunching the numbers to see if it works, that goes as a given.  And, I know that as a general rule, storage builds are supposed to be huge in order to make money. --I respect that opinion, but, right now, I'm thinking outside the box.    

     So, just brainstorming, I know I must be things out----- the improvements would be: leveling (if necessary) gravel, (compaction???) Electricity for lights, secured to the containers(to save $), video camera surveillance,  fence (although some places I've seen have no fence, I've noticed) and electric gate, signs, the containers themselves.  What am I forgetting?I am blonde at the roots...  other things to aquire:  business license, insurance, office organization/files/etc (in my house), phone, or internet phone number, ads(craigslist), contracts.  Hoping water is not necessary?  I can't see why it would be, and in our previous builds, its spendy!!!  I'm pretty competent with business and advertising on the small scale, as that's what I've done for years.  I just wouldn't want to leave something out of the budget!  

  • Flipper · Elmhurst, IL · Member since 2011 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    @Wendy Carpenter Congrats on your deal. Did you source the deal directly through marketing, if you don't mind. 

    I have looking at SS listings and started looking at deals within my target price range. So far, most them have not so good cash on cash return, not even as good as my SFR rental units. I guess the good deals never get on the open market.

  • Greenwood, MO · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    I own two facilities and am developing a third. I'm looking to buy more if anyone knows of a facility for sale. I own in Missouri and Minnesota

  • Yelm, WA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 84 votes
    8y

    @KC Zhang, mine was on the open market. It sat for quite a while, and I found it on my regular residential agent's MLS under "commercial." It was a total hot mess, with hardly any accurate financials, and the managers were dealing meth out of it.

  • Flipper · Elmhurst, IL · Member since 2011 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    @Wendy Carpenter Thanks for the information. Good luck with stabilize this facility!

  • Flipper · Walterboro, SC · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Kris Benson I am a real estate investor in South Carolina (buy and hold - over 150 family owned properties ) I have many contacts in my area as I started with Father upon graduating (Clemson - BS Accounting- 1990) ——/ I have other businesses and have been blessed over the years —— I started a new business this year - And have a local who proposed the following —— They have a 6 acre commercial property close to I 95 (within ~ 1/4 mile) They pitched that I build self storage facility - start small and test market and build from there ) She has land - I build ss facility and split profits I would like to enter this field and have many acres myself (4 acres right on interstate 30 minutes away - etc - etc ) I would love to partner with someone in this field and build modern ss facility - start with that property and grow with them and with my own land I don’t want to start from scratch to reinvent wheel (dont pretend to know best way to attack project but have contacts in every field relating to construcrion ) This area is own fire - population escaping lack of proper infrastructure of tricounty (Charleston, Dorchester, Berkeley) area bc of recent growth New businesses include -Boeing , Volvo etc The lack of modern ss facilities in this particular area of partnership. Current ss facilities are lacking and what’s there is older family owned. ——- I need help as this is a field that I’ve been interested in for a while and it’s a great opportunity with a family that I’ve done business with on other projects and have an established relationship. —/ I would like help / advice / patnership- and would love advice if interested. I have reached out to one other investor that has not made it down here to check out validity yet. I saw this post - and felt the need to reach out. Sincerely Edward Willis Jr (Ned) Pak A Sak, Inc. Willis Properties Woodmeadow Mulching
  • Investor · Woodbury, MN · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 72 votes
    8y

    @Dawn Young - I am in the midst of completing a facility and starting a new facility.  I'm struggling to build (they are maxi-storage, so a bit more costs than mini-storage) for less than $25/SF today.  1.5 years ago I started building and I was putting them up for about $18/SF.  Material prices are going up pretty fast which starts to kill the returns.  Also, someone else made a very good point that development costs hit up front and linger while you are renting the facility up.  The returns are probably better in the longrun but there is zero cashflow up front.  Probably negative, actually, even when you start small.  When you start small you still have grading, permits, building expenses, property taxes, insurance, possibly utilities, and the land costs to pay while you don't have any income or sufficient income to cover costs.  Remember, you might need to build 3 buildings to break even.  Sure you plan on starting small, but starting small may not pay the bills.  All things to consider.  I like the idea of buying a completed facility up front to get your feet wet.  At current construction costs (by the way, I hire a small Amish company to do the construction and buy materials from another Amish company, and have an inexpensive electrician - so my costs are pretty low in comparison to others), you will likely be able to buy at a cheaper SF rate than building.  And I think increasing construction costs will probably slow down development in the short to long term and this will allow for rents to rise going forward as new construction gets filled up over time.  

    I personally love the large-scale storage.   I believe this is an underserved sector of the SS niche.  Sure it's more expensive to build but it's also a higher end client.  I look at it like this: If you can rent out a large storage unit for $600/month, why bother with renting a low-end house?  Less tenant hassles and all your rentals can be in one spot!  

    I would totally agree that putting up SS in cities is getting next to impossible.  The new frontier for SS is the fringe markets where people are moving to.  The next ring suburbs, for example.  

    I've owned both mini and maxi now and I like maxi a lot.  However, I also realized that in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market that this is an underserved niche.  I'm from Green Bay, WI and I would not be building this stuff there.  There is too much inventory available and you can build it nearly anywhere.  So you have to know your markets.  

    @Kris Benson - Thanks for starting this thread.  I love the info and the discussions.   

    @Wendy Carpenter - It sounds like you found an amazing opportunity.  Good for you!  I agree, military towns should probably be on the short list for everyone looking for a SS facility.  They might be the perfect long-term renters.  They might be a little more work if they are on active duty but that seems well worth the hassle.  

  • Lender · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 108 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Most investors are not familiar with how under-supplied and profitable the self storage sector is. A few investors I know are doing well with their self storage portfolios.

  • Investor · Woodbury, MN · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 72 votes
    8y

    @Ned Willis - Sounds like you have a real interesting opportunity.  I'd be happy to help out on the development side although all my funds are tied up in my current projects.  However, it sounds like you may have the financial portion figured out.  The fact that you have the property (as part of the partnership of course) already in hand, that helps a lot while you get this facility off the ground.  As I mentioned in a previous post, construction costs are going up so you probably want to factor in a little contingency for that.  Well, maybe more than a LITTLE.  My material costs have gone up 50% in the past year and a half.  Lumber and steel are up and that's pinched my returns.  Not insurmountable but definitely a factor that needs to be part of the calculations.  DM me if you want to chat at all.  I have a blog that I'm trying to keep up to date that explains a lot of this and some of the headaches involved.  If we discuss a topic of  general interest, I might add it to the blog so others can also refer to it.  @Dawn Young - This might be somewhat helpful for you also. 

    http://joshrlc.blogspot.com/

    If you are going to go the development route, make sure you have time set aside for putting together documents and signing papers and whatnot.  I feel like I've spent the past 15 weeks since I quit my dayjob filling out paperwork.  Granted, it's been for two separate properties but it's been quite a bit of work.  Probably a lot to bite off if you are working full-time.  I've done it before but it can get very hectic at times.  

  • Investor · Woodbury, MN · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 72 votes
    8y

    @Dawn Young - Sorry for all the posts but I wanted to add to your list of possible expenses:

    Engineering Fees, survey, local entity's application fees for development, building permits, parking lot paving (some areas require pavement rather than gravel), stormwater permit fees, stormwater ponds (the design is included in the engineering fees), underlying soil corrections if your property is on peat-y soils or poorly drained land, wetland delineation, building structure engineering, worker's comp insurance if you hire someone (probably not in this scenario), legal fees for an attorney to write/review your lease, legal fees for attorney to guide you through the process of eviction (often called a 'lien sale' in SS circles), landscaping buffers (yes, I've had to install trees to buffer vehicular traffic - that reminds me, one of those trees are dead and I need to replace it.  Crap, another expense.), Onsite internet if you want remote camera surveillance.  

    If you have an onsite manager, you will probably need a bathroom onsite.  That means a perk test for septic system, septic system, office expenses, bathroom expenses, a well, (or you can tap into city water and sewer if available but that will still cost you something), and septic pumping.  Initially you can probably get by without an assistant but if you get large enough, you may need a manager onsite.  Some municipalities actually require some sort of septic/water onsite.  Yes, I've run into that too.  

    You will also have ongoing maintenance: weed spraying, grading the gravel parking lot (or a set aside for future repaving the parking lots), lawn mowing, snow plowing, door maintenance.  

    None of these things should be deal breakers, but you don't want to overlook anything either.  I overlooked building permits assuming they would be $500 each.  Well, it turned out they were $3500 each x 5 buildings.  That's certainly a cost overrun.  The nice thing is you can usually move money around a little if you are developing.  But the biggest concern is when you have to sacrifice space that makes you money (storage units) for space that doesn't (manager's office).  We had a bathroom building and maintenance garage cost us nearly $75K once you add everything up.  I'm not proud of this.  Maybe I could have done it a little cheaper but when you add a well plus septic plus plumbing, plus heat, plus bathrooms, plus electric service, etc, etc, it adds up fast.  I like the idea of skipping that if you can, but it's something to think about.  We built ours after our 3rd building was done so we knew we could afford the monetary suck it would inevitably require.  But it's one of the best features that our facility has over other facilities in the area.  

    For what it's worth.  

  • Specialist · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 390 posts · 496 votes
    8y

    @Wendy Carpenter that sounds like an awesome facility! Not joking at all. Kind of like when a house flipper walks into a house that smells like cat pee, "Mmmmm, money." ;o)

  • Yelm, WA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 84 votes
    8y

    @Neil Henderson, yes! Only mine is meth and cigarettes smell like money! Hahahah

  • Specialist · Charleston SC · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 42 votes
    8y

    I am very bullish on self storage (and it's future) and am currently in final permitting stages of my first project in FL.  We are seeking permitting for a 2 phase build:

    Phase 1: 75,000sf of Climate Control, 30,000sf of Non Climate Control, 30,000 of Boat/RV Storage

    Phase 2: additional 75,000sf of Climate control

    To answer a question mentioned in this thread there are 3 REITs that focus on 3rd party management for a 6% fee.  They handle pretty much every part of the day to day business (including marketing).  *They usually have a criteria of at least 50,000sf to consider managing a facility. 

    @Wendy Carpenter Great job... looking forward to seeing how your project works out.  

    @Ned Willis Read above... if you have any questions about your project please feel free to reach out.  

    @Josh Collins Good luck on your project.  

  • Flipper · Walterboro, SC · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Josh Collins Thanks for reaching out. I have an investor (mutual friend) coming tomorrow to look at potential opportunity for us all. Would love to develop a win/win/win relationship Landowner / partner with experience. / myself Thanks for all of your time I appreciate it !
  • Investor · Woodbury, MN · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 72 votes
    8y

    So cool.  Good luck man!  I'll be following you in hopes that you'll soon have some really cool news to share with BP!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.