How to flip commercial tenant to Triple Net

How to flip commercial tenant to Triple Net

Nick RiversPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 5 votes

I have a building that is commercial and residential. Tenant lives upstairs and operates business out of lower level. He pays utilities and I pay tax, insurance, snow removal.

If I wanted to give a longer term lease and make it triple net how does that work? Do they just pay the agreed lease amount and I just send them the insurance and tax bill whenever I get it? How do you make sure it’s getting paid?

Thanks!

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Nick Rivers:

I have a building that is commercial and residential. Tenant lives upstairs and operates business out of lower level. He pays utilities and I pay tax, insurance, snow removal.

If I wanted to give a longer term lease and make it triple net how does that work? Do they just pay the agreed lease amount and I just send them the insurance and tax bill whenever I get it? How do you make sure it’s getting paid?

Thanks!

 You would address this in the lease. Make sure to talk to a commercial real estate attorney so you have the wording the way you want it. Basically you describe in the lease all the costs that are passed through to the tenant. You then bill the tenant but you would pay all the bills yourself directly.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nick Rivers:

    I have a building that is commercial and residential. Tenant lives upstairs and operates business out of lower level. He pays utilities and I pay tax, insurance, snow removal.

    If I wanted to give a longer term lease and make it triple net how does that work? Do they just pay the agreed lease amount and I just send them the insurance and tax bill whenever I get it? How do you make sure it’s getting paid?

    Thanks!

     You would address this in the lease. Make sure to talk to a commercial real estate attorney so you have the wording the way you want it. Basically you describe in the lease all the costs that are passed through to the tenant. You then bill the tenant but you would pay all the bills yourself directly.

  • Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 545 posts · 252 votes
    6y

    @Nick Rivers Exactly what @Greg Dickerson said. There are absolute net leases where the Tenant is responsible to pay for those items directly, however, in this case you would be responsible to ensure they are paid and then bill the Tenant directly as "Additional Rent" in the Lease. Echoing Greg again, you will certainly want to engage an attorney to make sure that you aren't crossing any lines with the residential component of the lease. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I don't think you will be able to pass through 100% of the expenses in NNN since there is a residential component. Again, attorney. A good property manager should be able to answer some questions for you as well.

  • Nick RiversPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Greg Dickerson @Jameson Sullivan .  Thanks for the input fellas, that makes sense on the residential piece.  I'll chat with my attorney about this.

  • Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 545 posts · 252 votes
    6y

    Best of luck. Report back on what you find!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.