• Developer
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
What self storage software do you use?

Peter Lee
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Nov 10 2020, 20:04

New owner here for a single facility with 400 units. Trying to decide btw Storage Commander and Easy Storage Solutions ( https://www.storageunitsoftwar... )

Ideally we could have a system that is cloud based, easy to use and can connect with payment processing via the website and have some easy payment processing too.

I heard that Easy Storage can do both the website + management software which would simplify things. End goal would be to automate as much as possible.

Anyone have thoughts on either platform?  Or is there something better out there?  Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Bledsoe
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lancaster, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lancaster, PA
Replied Nov 11 2020, 02:01

@John Kim ESS is definitely a good software package. You may also want to look into StorEdge and Sitelink as well. All three software companies are owned by a private equity firm called Storable. I would venture to guess that at some point in the future all three platforms may be redeveloped into one program.

However, for the time being, StorEdge can do all of the same things as Easy Storage Solutions. Sitelink is an older platform but easily has the most self storage users of all three. Sitelink has an open API with a number of add on complimentary programs like automated collection calls, integration with website developers and call center integration.

Each program is very good and definitely worth exploring further.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Quick
  • Investor
  • Bentonville, AR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bentonville, AR
Replied Nov 11 2020, 02:41

@Peter Lee I'd also add in that you give the folks at Tenant Inc. a call and look at their Mariposa/Hummingbird product. ESS is a one stop shop as you mentioned which is good and bad...

Host Financial  logo
Host Financial
|
Sponsored
15% Down DSCR Loans 80% Cash Outs Mention BPFORUM500 at Quoting to Wave $500 Processing Fee

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 11 2020, 03:53

Hello @Peter Lee, We're just starting out in storage as well, and after reviewing quite a few platforms, StorEdge does appear to be the most comprehensive and best way to go. 

User Stats

Votes
John Lenhart
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 11 2020, 12:50

We use both WebSelfStorage and Sitelink at various facilities. There are benefits to both. Webselfstorage has some limitations but the price is very good, Sitelink I think is a bit clunky but the open API is nice. Both can be good products. Storedge is easier to use than Sitelink, but last time I demo'd it, it was a bit locked down and limited in what you could make it do. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Lee
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 11 2020, 14:33

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I am leaning towards Storedge as it might be difficult to have more than 1 facility with Easy Storage  Solutions (we only have 1 but really dreading another migration if we acquire another one).  Supposedly you need to log out to access the second property with EAsy Storage

User Stats

Votes
Peter Lee
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 16 2020, 16:58

Thanks all.  We ended up going with Storedge.  Easy Storage Solutions was good but in the end we liked the functionality of Storedge.  

User Stats

Votes
Joe Partington
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Island, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Island, NE
Replied May 30 2021, 14:37

Peter, are you happy with your decision to go with storEDGE?  What package do you use and what is the monthly cost associated?  How has your storage facility benefited? Any other info you would share would be helpful as I'm in the process of choosing a software company right now. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Peter Lee
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 30 2021, 21:07
Originally posted by @Joe Partington:

Peter, are you happy with your decision to go with storEDGE?  What package do you use and what is the monthly cost associated?  How has your storage facility benefited? Any other info you would share would be helpful as I'm in the process of choosing a software company right now. Thanks!

Hi Joe

We have both the management software + the website through Storedge.  It's roughly $120/ mo for the software + $100/ mo website.  There was a one time set up fee of maybe $700-$1k (cant remember exactly).  

I like how the Sparefoot, Storedge, and the website are all linked which makes things easier and the dashboard/ reporting features are pretty good.  It's pretty easy for me to see everything that is going on on site by logging into the software.  A little sucky though that Sparefoot, selfstorage.com, and few other sites are all owned by the same company that owns Storedge so they have cornered the market there.  Not a big fan of the minimum 1.5 mo commission.

My one big gripe though was the migration from our previous management software.  They screwed up a good handful of things and I spent a LOT of time doing data cleanup/ verification.  Most of the issues revolved around autopay and planned rent increases.  Im guessing there was an easier way to do this but the hassle of annoyed tenants wasnt worth it.  For example I had some tenants who got double billed via autopay bc the data was improperly migrated and I had to clean up all that data.  

User Stats

Votes
Joe Partington
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Island, NE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Island, NE
Replied May 31 2021, 10:35

Thank you for sharing that info Peter.  I have a few more questions if you don't mind. I sent you a colleague request.   

User Stats

Votes
Gulliver R.
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Feb 5 2023, 17:28

Hi all, 

I'm new to the self storage industry and just wanted to ask what are the most important things you look for in a management software? 

Off the top of my head the things I want are the ability to: for people to sign up for an setup a storage unit online, require all tenants to setup autopay, schedule rent raises, tenants can contact customer support via message or chat, 24/7 customer support, integrate with the gate system, integrate with the cam/video system, etc.

Thank you,

Gulliver

User Stats

Votes
Michael Margarella
  • Investor
  • New York City
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City
Replied Feb 6 2023, 06:00

You can't go wrong with storEDGE for management.  It syncs with payment processors, and other vendor software (gates, kiosks, cameras, etc.).  You can automate most things on storEDGE, from messages to delinquent customers to lock codes.

You can also do your website through storEDGE, though we farm that out to another vendor that specializes in SEO.

User Stats

Votes
Sanat Bhandari
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Feb 6 2023, 06:14

@Henry Clark owns and manages a good amount of ground-up self storages and is a great resource for commercial properties in general

Ignite Funding  logo
Ignite Funding
|
Sponsored
Maximize Your Returns with Trust Deeds Earn 10%-12% annually on collateralized real estate investments. No fees to invest.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Feb 6 2023, 17:42

@Gulliver R.

Softwares:

Management system

NVR security camera system

Security system

Gate

We use Webselfstorage. Fits our needs.  If I was to start fresh would check out Storedge.  One of our competitors used them and we both opened up a new location at the same time. They ranked higher and faster on Google. 

My SEO got us ahead of them after about 2 months.  Find out if competitors in your local market use Storedge.  Look at the bottom of their websites.  If your competition is using them wouldn’t use them for SEO even though will probably cost more.  No reason for them to put you ahead of their other customers.

Security system will be a different software.  Research this very carefully and your local security person.  You will need to teach them.  Or ask them for features. 
Use lookup.  My name and systems. Self storage. 

Check your management software and make sure they have a customer insurance that is or can be imbedded in their system. 

User Stats

Votes
Gulliver R.
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Feb 13 2023, 10:37

Awesome! Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Julie Gates
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Savannah, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Savannah, GA
Replied Sep 25 2023, 17:30
Quote from @Henry Clark:

@Gulliver R.

Softwares:

Management system

NVR security camera system

Security system

Gate

We use Webselfstorage. Fits our needs.  If I was to start fresh would check out Storedge.  One of our competitors used them and we both opened up a new location at the same time. They ranked higher and faster on Google. 

My SEO got us ahead of them after about 2 months.  Find out if competitors in your local market use Storedge.  Look at the bottom of their websites.  If your competition is using them wouldn’t use them for SEO even though will probably cost more.  No reason for them to put you ahead of their other customers.

Security system will be a different software.  Research this very carefully and your local security person.  You will need to teach them.  Or ask them for features. 
Use lookup.  My name and systems. Self storage. 

Check your management software and make sure they have a customer insurance that is or can be imbedded in their system. 

I'm starting my first facility. I'm trying to get up and running with web self storage, but I sort of hate them already. My biggest complaint is that the site doesn't save my user name and password, I've never seen a more clunky site. But the price is great, am I over thinking it? Would you choose them again?

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Sep 25 2023, 18:09

@Julie Gates

I would still go with them.  Have gotten disappointed several times, but you work through it.  Get the phone number and name of a helpdesk person and contact them.

Whether them or someone else start to look for a software that will stay around through the consolidation of the industry in the next 10 years.

User Stats

Votes
Julie Gates
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Savannah, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Savannah, GA
Replied Sep 25 2023, 18:10

I appreciate it. Thank you.