Cold Call Script for Prospecting Off Market Storage & Industrial

7 Replies

We're looking for offmarket storage & industrial deals and have developed a database of owners and properties, whom we will be calling and visiting. 

For those of you doing the same, what is your typical script and storybeats? Any advice on what works and what doesn't? 

@AP Horvath

Nothing “works” better than anything else. You can try to make friends, you can get straight to the point, or you could just make offers.

I haven’t landed a deal yet, but have had good conversations, had people blow me off, some say they won’t sell, only to see the property listed with a broker in less than six weeks after the call, and some will give you good info.

I typically try to be honest and then make friends. I find that people would rather just hear how much I’d pay so they can say no faster. Haha.

Are you preparing an actual offer before the call?

I have found success by stating that the market may be much higher than they expect, would they be open to selling if the price was high enough.

Ask some basic questions that you don't know like occupancy, renewal expectations, any headaches, lender, etc.

Get an email to follow up and thats it.

I don't know that visiting in person always works, my sellers are pretty grumpy people...

Thanks @Ronald Rohde -- that's helpful. 

At this point in time, I am *NOT* preparing an offer before purchase --- something you recommend? 

What sort of properties are you looking to acquire? 

Originally posted by @AP Horvath :

Thanks @Ronald Rohde -- that's helpful. 

At this point in time, I am *NOT* preparing an offer before purchase --- something you recommend? 

What sort of properties are you looking to acquire? 

Thats okay, sometimes you just want to start the conversation before doing too much. It just depends on the situation.

I buy industrial/warehouse 30-100k sq ft, mostly occupied, single or multi, newer than 80s, at least 3+ years left on leases.

Here is my quick and ez script

"Hi, I am calling about your ad/sign/property/etc.  <Pause> 
I am an investor.  <Long Pause>
Has it become a headache?"

Been using it for years. Response;
1) Yes ! (motivate seller)
2) No  (are you a cash buyer?)
3) hang up (keep dialing for $, its a numbers game :)