Votes
James Hong
  • Glendale, CA
Votes |
Newbie needs help with squatters

James Hong
  • Glendale, CA
Posted Jan 7 2014, 12:08

Greetings BP Community, I'm James from Los Angeles. Just finished the BP Beginner's Guide and have listened to about 20 podcasts, what a tremendous resource this site is! I am currently waiting for the California BRE to process my application and give me an exam date. When I obtain my license I would like to work with investors in order to learn as much as possible. Until then, I am looking to invest in fix n flips or wholesale.

A partner and I have been thinking about bidding on a home at an upcoming probate auction. The opening bid is about a third of the ARV according to comps in the neighborhood. The property profile obtained from a title company states that there are no recorded deeds of trusts and no tax owed. After chatting with a neighbor of the house, discovered that a couple of squatters are occupying the property and have been living with utilities turned off.

With the tenant laws in California, is this property even worth pursuing? What is the timeframe for evicting the squatters? What is the going rate for an eviction attorney in the LA area? Any recommendations for due diligence when bidding on probate auctions?

Thank you for your time reading and any replies.

James

Loading replies...