Water and gas meter are missing on prospective property

4 Replies

I currently have a contract accepted on a foreclosed property and the inspection revealed the gas meter as well as the water meter have been removed.  Could this be theft or maybe the gas and water companies have removed them?  For what purpose, is this normal or standard?  What am I looking at to get them put back in?

Thank you

you will most likely have to pay for them when you get the utilities turned.  Im sure you could find out what the charge would be if you call.

I have emailed both gas and water companies for now.  I think I remember reading that the utility companies will removed the meters on foreclosed properties as a standard, or maybe in just some cases, just curious.

So it turns out that there are about $168 in back fees for the water company from the previous owner and the gas company pulled the meter due to the house being a foreclosure and being vacant for a certain amount of time.  The kicker is though, the gas company requires a permit from the city stating that the gas line has been checked and is safe to reinstall the meter.  The permit will be issued after an inspection which is done by either the city or a licensed plumber.  The inspection is pretty in depth, takes a couple of days, and costs about $350 from my regular plumber.  The MUD will hook up the water after the deposit and back fees are paid, no inspection needed.

Originally posted by @Paul Zofsak :

The kicker is though, the gas company requires a permit from the city stating that the gas line has been checked and is safe to reinstall the meter.    The inspection is pretty in depth, takes a couple of days, and costs about $350 from my regular plumber.  

I have never heard of that, so it must be unique to your area.  I have had a new meter put in, and the gas company just sent a tech who was done in 15 minutes.  This sounds like unnecessary picky municipal rules designed to make the evil landlords pay.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.