Quit claim deed

4 Replies

Hello everyone, 

I am a new investor and I came across a foreclosure property and I was doing research on it.  I found that the property was foreclosed on in 4/2014 and in 12/2014 the trust that owned the land did a Quit Claim deed over to another trust. I have never come across this before and I was wondering does the quit claim deed have any effect on the foreclosure? I wouldn't think it would since the quit claim was done after the foreclosure had taken place. I would appreciate any insight you could give. Thanks

The QCD has no effect on the foreclosure.  When it was foreclosed on in 4/2014 fee simple title was passed to either the beneficiary of the foreclosed mortgage, it's nominee or to a party that purchased it at the foreclosure auction.  At that point, the trust has no interest to convey so the deed in 12/2014 is meaningless.

My current philosophy is to NEVER try to buy (or wholesale/assign) a property where the Seller is only offering a QCD. Why would I? Why should anybody?  Why shouldn't EVERY Seller be asked to provide a Warranty Deed?  For example, I could offer to sell you a Property by QCD that I don't even have ANY ownership of! What do you think that the actual Owner will think when they find out  - and they aren't even selling that property?! Cheers...

well, neither post here above I believe is relevant.  The QCD you're looking at is likely title going from the trustee who foreclosed, to the actual note owner/investor, so yes it is valid and relevant.  It's typical, I see this with properties here going to Fannie that way, after a foreclosure.

If your still wondering about quit claim deeds, check out this short video http://youtu.be/tp05noS10_w it might help answer some of your questions. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here