Pre-Auction Opportunity

2 Replies

Hi All, I may have an opportunity to purchase my first investment property. A friend of my fathers home is going to be auctioned on the courthouse steps 5/5. She is pretty desperate for someone to buy it before that , and she would like to stay in the house as a renter. The home is in need of repair as well - Tax value is at 114K. She owes about that in principal but needs about 25K in repair. So, as an possible investor what would be the best route - should we just go to the bank and make an offer for a short sale? Are there any other strategies that may work ?  

The home is in Forsyth County, Ga 

That strategy won't work. Maybe you could buy it on the courthouse steps but, you won't be able to buy it in a short sale. It's not arms length, it is too late to engage in a short sale, it's not listed with an agent on the MLS. Probably other issues too.

This one is leveraged to the hilt AND needs rehab ... not good.  Also getting a short sale approved takes MONTHS - even YEARS.  Best thing to do is attend the auction.  You learn 2 things:

1. What other investors are willing to pay

2. What the bank rejects - assuming they reject.

With this knowledge, you can approach the bank with a better offer (assuimg it's worth more to you). 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.