• Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Writ of Possession, Purchased home in FL at foreclosure auction

Allan B.
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Jul 21 2016, 08:44

Hi All,

I've purchased a few properties through foreclosure (county auction), and this is the first one where the previous homeowner hasn't left the premises or accepted CFK.  The previous homeowner is adamant about staying, and its requiring me to get a Writ of Possession to obtain possession.  I was able to get my motion for Writ of Possession approved, the Writ has been issued to the Sheriff.

Here's my strategy:

1. Wait until Sheriff calls and tells me what time to meet him.

2. During the meeting/enforcement of Writ, I will enter the property and change the locks.

3. I will walk through the property and take pictures of any belongings that are left.

4. If not a big job, I will move out to the driveway/curb of the house myself. If it's substantial, I will hire movers (perhaps might happen the next day), 

A few questions:

1.  As I understand, the Sheriff places a notice on the property informing the previous owner/tenant of Eviction.  Then he returns 24-72 hours laters.  Prior to returning the second time, the Sheriff will call me after the notice has been posted, and he will discuss with me what time he will be back to fully enforce the Writ.  It is at at this time, where I need to change the locks and possibly move out the tenants belongings.  Is this how it works?

2.  When I meet the Sheriff at the property, where he ensures the tenant has left, can I simply show up there by myself (without movers) to assess the situation to determine if I need to hire movers?  Or am I required to start moving out the belongings immediately?  (Can I delay the actual moving of his belongings by a day or two?)

3.  Any tips, or contacts for locksmiths and movers to help with this in South Florida?  (I am in Ft. Lauderdale).

Any help will be appreciated.

Loading replies...