Aaron Araujo
  • New Bedford, MA
Votes |
ORDER OF NOTICE?

Aaron Araujo
  • New Bedford, MA
Posted Oct 3 2016, 19:26

Hello BiggerPockets Community!

I have a question regarding an add in my local news paper classifieds. I've had my eye on a property in my neighborhood that has been vacant for a few years now. I visited the city assessor's office a few months back to find out who the owner was, turns out it was still listed under the previous owners name (a neighbor that personally knew). The tax office told me that the property taxes were up to date as well, which didn't add up because I thought the property had been foreclosed on years ago. 

I eventually ran into some of the landscapers that periodically come and maintain the lawn. I asked them if they knew who controlled the property and they gave me the name of a property management company that hired them to maintain the yard. They also told me that the property itself was owned by some bank in Ohio, although I am in Massachusetts. 

I tried to research both the bank and the property management company but with no luck. This brings me to today, when I took a look at the local classifieds and saw the following post regarding the same property!

I'm going to paraphrase here:

"COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS LAND COURT DEPARTMENT OF THE TRIAL COURT

ORDER OF NOTICE TO: (Previous owner's name), and to all persons entitled to the benefit of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act; Wells Fargo Bank...Asset-Backed Pass-Through Certificates...claiming to have interest in a mortgage covering real property at (address), given by: (name) to (mortgage company) dated May 2005...and now held by Plaintiff by assignment, has/have filed with this court a complaint for determination of defendants service members status...If you object to the foreclosure of the property above then you or your attorney must file a written appearance and answer this before OCT 31, 2016 or you will be forever barred from claiming that you are entitled to the benefits of said Act"

Now, forgive me for my ignorance, but is this just a foreclosure notice? And are they always posted in the news paper like this? If so, what happens from here, and is there anyway for me to follow up on this property?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Aaron

P.S. This is my first forum post, I'm hoping to engage in the BP community more often!

Loading replies...