Finding An Owner

5 Replies

I was 'driving for dollars' and found a boarded up brick house. I'm having difficulty finding the owner though.  I got a trio that gave his home address, he moved in July, no forwarding. I tried whitepages.com, same info, some emails - all returned. I did find out he's a gunsmith.

Any advice on how to find someone?

Go through your township and find the tax records for the property. That will tell you where the tax bill is being sent to.

Go to city/town/county hall and ask information about the owner. Normally you can check in the tax commissioner and probate court. Gather as much information about the owner and property.

so I'd like to tag on to this post as i'm in the same scenario. the neighbor in my building has abandoned his condo and I'd love to buy it. but we have no idea how to contact him. no phone number. the assessors office shows last year tax bill is paid but this years is pending. it only shows the abandoned address on the history. is there a way to find out what bank owns the mortgage and see if its in pre-foreclosure etc? what are the next steps? 

I searched the county auditors website and can find no info on him.

Originally posted by @Dustin Twiggs :

so I'd like to tag on to this post as i'm in the same scenario. the neighbor in my building has abandoned his condo and I'd love to buy it. but we have no idea how to contact him. no phone number. the assessors office shows last year tax bill is paid but this years is pending. it only shows the abandoned address on the history. is there a way to find out what bank owns the mortgage and see if its in pre-foreclosure etc? what are the next steps? 

I searched the county auditors website and can find no info on him.

If you are trying to find out who holds the mortgage make sure you check with the city or county to see who is listed on the deed of trust for the property.  Almost all mortgages are secured by one.  If he was a cash buyer you may have to hire a PI.

Erik

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here