REO Start to Finish

REO Start to Finish

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes

This thread is about a recent REO deal I have done from start to finish (well, finish line is in sight) to help educate and inspire others to do the same.

Property details: 4+3, 2300 sq. ft, pool, spa, view, quiet street, great neighborhood, huge open kitchen with island.

This was an MLS listed property (I don't do these often) which was listed too high and received very little activity due to the over pricing. Long story short, I was able to contract it for $266k and I have since put $40k in rehab into the property.

Original estimated rehab budget was $35k so $40k is within the 15% contingency expense I always add on in my estimates.
What created the overage? Pool needed new tile which I did not originally budget for plus the size of the pool replatser job was greater than anticipated. Excess cost $2000
Appliances for kitchen were estimated at the usual $1500 for all stainless steel stove/oven, micro, and dishwasher. Ended up paying $3100 because I used a double oven (GE profile on clearence), & 36" inset range top rather than a slide in combo unit. At the suggestion of my agent, I moved the vinyl fencing seperating the backyard pool area from the front yard and brought it out into the front yard (to increase the backyard size) approx 15 ft. Extra cost $1500. Then there were the usual misc. extras.

Property is rehab complete, placed on MLS at $398,800 and had open house both Sat. & Sun. Received offer yesterday and am in the process of negotiations through counter offers/replys.

Assuming I settle at $390k for this property with current buyer, here are the numbers:
$266k purchase
$ 40k rehab
$ 23k re-sell costs (agent fees + title/escrow + recording)
$ 7k loan interest/costs Took $200k private investor loan at 12% + 2nd investor loan of $25k @ 12% (BP member)
$ 2k acquisition costs - rounded up (escrow/title)
--------------
$ 52k net profit before taxes inside of 3 months! Acquisition close date was Jan 25. so I have until April 25 to close sale escrow and stay inside of 90 days.

Have any questions, ask away, I am hear to help.
- Will Barnard

6Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
15y

I like the gusto Humerto.

See this reply in the discussion

66 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2010 · 31 posts · 18 votes
    15y

    You mentioned that you do not usually buy MLS listed properties. How do you usually find them?

  • Involved In Real Estate · Hyattsville , MD · Member since 2011 · 298 posts · 256 votes
    15y

    Congratulations Will !! Great job on the rehab and in sticking to your budget. I think that maybe an issue on my rehab is sticking to the budget. Quick question - Do your figures include seller concession to the buyers? Does that not happen that much on the higher end as it does on the 200k or below houses?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Mike Neyman:
    You mentioned that you do not usually buy MLS listed properties. How do you usually find them?
    Through relationships I have developed over the years with top REO brokers as well as asset managers, I often have access to properties before they hit the MLS, complete my due diligence, come up with a price and if that price matches the BPO the agent submits, and that BPO is approved by the bank, the day the MLS listing comes out, my offer is submitted just before (or during) and because it is all cash and full price, it usually gets accepted.
    Other properties I obtain before they ever hit MLS through direct connections.

    @Ophelia - My figures do not include seller concessions. I rarely have to give them and when I do, that just comes off my exit price and I consider that less than my pre-determined exit price. In the past years, I almost always got at or above ask price. Market has changed now and therefore, getting full ask price is much more difficult, but still can be obtained, so long as the exit price was reasonable.
    All of my exit prices are above $300k, in fact, my lowest exit price is $325k, so yes, much less seller concessions needed.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    OK, my video for this property is now edited and complete. It is now available to view on youtube.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_iL0LAJ-qA

    - Will Barnard

  • Investor · Columbus , OH · Member since 2010 · 311 posts · 51 votes
    15y

    Bill,

    I just view the video, great job!
    I see why you get full asking price on your properties. The kitchen is so beautiful!!
    Keep it up
    Tracey

  • Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
    15y

    Nice job, Will.

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    15y

    Very nice rehab.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Raymond

  • Sandy Springs, GA · Member since 2011 · 126 posts · 31 votes
    15y

    Just viewed the vid, great job. How much was the landscaping?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Eduardo Austin:
    Just viewed the vid, great job. How much was the landscaping?
    $2k for front and back and included new sprinkler systems in both with timers.

    Thanks for your feedback everyone.
    Anyone esle have any questions I can answer for you?

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2010 · 35 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    Wow! That was an awesome job! Very refine!

  • Investor · Southern CT, CT · Member since 2010 · 211 posts · 41 votes
    15y

    That property came out great! equally worth mentioning is the quick turnaround.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    @ Audrey & Des - Thank you both for your kind words and comments. Much appreciated.

    I was hoping to also get some questions so that I can help others understand the process and details of a flip from start to finish. Anyone?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Will, how much time did you put into this personally? Estimated hours?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    Will, how much time did you put into this personally? Estimated hours?
    Great question Jon. I did not log my hours and any estimate would be a flat out guess, however, I will say I put less hours into this deal than any, in part because I had a broken wrist and the other part because it was so close to home and near my kids schools, I could just "drop in for a few" because I was in the area.
    All in all, I would say (including trips to Lowes) I spent less than 30 hours. Assuming I clear $50k or so, how does $1600+ per hour sound?
  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2010 · 35 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    Hi Will...Okay, here's my question...

    Sorry, but I hope this is not a silly question. Were the rehab costs and seller costs paid from the PI or were those out of pocket?

    My reason for asking is...I am trying to figure out how you would have stayed within the 90 day frame and would this be considered a no money down deal...ie...none of your funds used?

    Would it have been any easier for you without the PI resources? (since for me, I'm still working on getting PI and for others who may not have those resources yet?)

    Thanks for answering.
    Cheers!

  • Wholesaler · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2011 · 73 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    Will,

    I just checked out the video...looks like night and day !

    I'm looking to start checking out a few properties in Orange county. Do you have a GC Crew that you use for every project that you take on ?

    I'm looking for a crew that can get the job done

    Keep up the Great work

    Rudy

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    @Audrey - I borrowed $200k from a PI and a second loan of $25k from another PI for a total of $225k which is $41k short of my acquisition price and another $40k short for the rehab, so that shortage was made up with my own cash.As such, this and all of my deals are not no money down deals. I always place skin in the game for the protection of my lenders.

    I was able to stay inside of 90 days because my crew works fast, and the property was in a great location which caused lots of viewers and the offer. Using private funds or your own cash does not affect your timelines.

    Would it be easier without PI funds you ask? No, without it, I would be required to come up with the full $306k+ in my own cash, so PI money makes things easier to harder. It also increases your cash on cash returns.

    @Rudy - Yes, I have a main crew I use each time and have been working with them for years. Building a great rehab team is an important step before starting to invest in rehab projects.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2010 · 35 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    Got it! Thanks, Will. I appreciate the response...very clear cut!

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    15y

    Enjoyed the post and the video!! Great job Will!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    I like the gusto Humerto.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    @Anson - Thanks, much appreciated.

    @Humberto - As Jeffrey stated, you certainly have "gusto" and that is a good thing. I just recently responded to your email before knowing who you are. Now I know how you know me, so please respond via email and perhaps we can work something out.

    Thanks to all for your comments and kind words.
    Anyone have any specific questions regarding this or any rehab they would like to ask me?

  • Multi-family Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 78 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    Will I definitely like the rehab work your company did on this property. Do you ever wholesale property when you have too many projects going on?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Peter Haymond:
    Will I definitely like the rehab work your company did on this property. Do you ever wholesale property when you have too many projects going on?
    I do, but I only go after Southern CA deals, nothing north of Santa Clarita Valley. I have offered several deals of mine to BP members, have yet to have anyone take me up on them. I am not a wholesaler by trade, but on occasion, do offer deals that are too far away for me or if I have too many at one time.

    Thanks for your comments and question.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Great job-that takes courage and know-how. I know many of us wish we could do that.

    The question I have is if an investor bought with that price and those details, and then used a general contractor for the remodel, wouldn't you say the profit would go to the contractor?

    Since you are the general then the profit went to you. Is that about right?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jeff Sielicky:
    Great job-that takes courage and know-how. I know many of us wish we could do that.

    The question I have is if an investor bought with that price and those details, and then used a general contractor for the remodel, wouldn't you say the profit would go to the contractor?

    Since you are the general then the profit went to you. Is that about right?

    Not at all. As investors, our profits are made at acquisition along with our abilities to properly calculate costs and exit price; plus arrange a great team to get things done in a timely manner.

    I actually had my general contractor on this job, plus I hired a few subs (carpet installer, tile installer, HVAC, landscaper) Staying within the budget, my profit was negotiated from the acquisition so long as I get anywhere near my selected exit price.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.