getting a permit on long island to turn the gas on

getting a permit on long island to turn the gas on

Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 0 votes

I purchased a property on long island (town of islip )  when I called national grid to turn the gas on they told ne that since it was inactive 

for over a year I would have to get a pressure test . additionally It looks like I have to get a permit as well. That opens up a gigantic can of worms . The house has a partially finished basement with 3 seperate rooms and a garage and bathroom that was converted without a permit ( very very common here on long island I did the same in my house ) .Of course if an inspector comes out most likely I either have to get up to code or eliminate the garage converstion and take the walls down in the basement .If I dont I would probably have to wait up to 8 weeks to get drawings and approvals thus delaying the entire project . Has anyone  run into this with foreclosures . I had no idea national grid recquires this if the gas is shut off for over a year . Any feedback at all would help immensley .

MV 

0Reply
49 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • West Sayville, NY · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    I recently went through a very similar situation with the town of Brookhaven. I as well did not know about the town CO issue. I did all my renovations and when I was all wrapped up I had pressure test done. The inspector can did a quick walk through of all gas appliances and issued me paper works to have my gas tuned back on. Huge crisis averted. I do know another investor who has same problem but was not so lucky. Had a finished basement in TOB town came to approve pressure test went in his basement which was finished illegally. They made him tear  everything out of basement because house was on to small of a plot to have finished basement. My advice roll the dice.

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    so you are saying try to have a plumber come out and do the pressure test get the certificate and then call national grid and role the dice without getting a permit ? national grid told me once I have the certifcate they will come out and turn the gas on . I think i have a plumber who is willing to do without getting a permit .

  • West Sayville, NY · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    No do all your work. And the very last thing you do in that house is have the town come out and  do the pressure test.  That’s what I do. I’m not saying it’s rigjt but if you have them come out in the beginning or during renovation your going to open a huge can of worms.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.