Bank evicted previous homeowners , what is required of me?

2 Replies

I am purchasing a single-family residence in Nebraska that was a bank foreclosure. Purchase was made through an online auction, and I close In a few days. The previous owners were evicted, but it appears they left a fair amount of property behind.

There is a sign inside the window that says no trespassing by order of the County Sheriff. When I take possession, do I have any responsibilities as to the property left behind? Or can I immediately clean out and dispose of it all?

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Lee VanDenBroeke :

I am purchasing a single-family residence in Nebraska that was a bank foreclosure. Purchase was made through an online auction, and I close In a few days. The previous owners were evicted, but it appears they left a fair amount of property behind.

There is a sign inside the window that says no trespassing by order of the County Sheriff. When I take possession, do I have any responsibilities as to the property left behind? Or can I immediately clean out and dispose of it all?

Thanks!

Not sure about your jurisdiction but in many you have to store the goods for 1 to 6 months if you did the evicting. If it was a foreclosure with an eviction that probably doesn't apply but it would probably be smart and kind to store it for 30 days and then dispose of if no one called on the goods. I had one such property in the Seattle area and it turned out the owner was working on a salmon boat in Alaska most of the year and didn't know his house had been sold. You never know where people go to and they might come back. Hospital? Deployed? Jail? etc

Thanks Mike M. 
Turns out this is the absolute worst of the 5 properties I have purchased this far. Hazmat suit for the cleanout bad....
The good news is I didn't over pay, and should still make a nice profit, but almost nothing in the house is worth saving. The basement has had water in it for quite some time apparently, which destroyed nearly everything down there, which included a (used to be) beautiful trumpet, train collection, toy collection, and many other things. Mold 3/4 of the way up the wall....pretty disgusting. Really nothing to save, but a piano and a coin collection. City water has been cut off for over a year, and yet, this dude has been living there during that time.
Based on the medical books from a local prestigious med school, and trophies for basketball and tennis, This guy seemed to have it all together and for some reason hit bottom. Left some drug paraphernalia behind. This is a good example of why you don't do drugs, kids......
So, I'm not concerned that he will be wanting anything back....