Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 79 posts · 33 votes
How much do you typically pay contractors for cosmetic renovations? Typically, I sub everything out and average $15,000 - $22,000 unit for full cosmetic renovations. Here, I want to delegate this job to a contractor to supervise, pay, manage subcontractors but I'm having trouble coming up with a fee.
There's 18-units for this particular project and I want to throw other units at the contractor once I purchase. Is 10% of cost reasonable? Thanks,
How much do you typically pay contractors for cosmetic renovations? Typically, I sub everything out and average $15,000 - $22,000 unit for full cosmetic renovations. Here, I want to delegate this job to a contractor to supervise, pay, manage subcontractors but I'm having trouble coming up with a fee.
There's 18-units for this particular project and I want to throw other units at the contractor once I purchase. Is 10% of cost reasonable? Thanks,
Tony
Impossible to answer. We do not know what you're doing, basic, paint, flooring, Formica, tub surrounds OR granite crown, tile, etc, I can tell you this. I do entire homes, about 1300s sq ft, Rental turn, 6- 8k, is the norm, I do 8 a month. Paint, minor spackle, material is always about 450 500, labor 1500. New countertop 200, sand and poly the floors, 2 a sq ft, carpet for 3 brs 1500ish, change a GFI, hang a door etc, Now this is for a $1200- 1500 rental in the Cleveland markets. You're in Charloette completely different animal. I know that market, ( I live in SC ) its expensive, All the best
Property Manager / Licensed Realtor · Toledo/Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 244 posts · 262 votes
3y
Great question @Tony S. I think it depends on the size of the unit, materials you are using, etc. I have seen renovations on a 3/1 home for around $7,000 and I have seen them for around $20,000. I do not mind paying a little bit more for a quality return.
How much do you typically pay contractors for cosmetic renovations? Typically, I sub everything out and average $15,000 - $22,000 unit for full cosmetic renovations. Here, I want to delegate this job to a contractor to supervise, pay, manage subcontractors but I'm having trouble coming up with a fee.
There's 18-units for this particular project and I want to throw other units at the contractor once I purchase. Is 10% of cost reasonable? Thanks,
Tony
Impossible to answer. We do not know what you're doing, basic, paint, flooring, Formica, tub surrounds OR granite crown, tile, etc, I can tell you this. I do entire homes, about 1300s sq ft, Rental turn, 6- 8k, is the norm, I do 8 a month. Paint, minor spackle, material is always about 450 500, labor 1500. New countertop 200, sand and poly the floors, 2 a sq ft, carpet for 3 brs 1500ish, change a GFI, hang a door etc, Now this is for a $1200- 1500 rental in the Cleveland markets. You're in Charloette completely different animal. I know that market, ( I live in SC ) its expensive, All the best
Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 313 posts · 157 votes
3y
@Tony S. if I understand you correctly you're asking what would the general contractor fee be for managing the rehab of 18 units at a total cost of $270 - 330k... with a potential for more business down the road. In the single family rehab world, we assume that we're paying a 10 - 15% premium to a General Contractor to manage the rehab. For this premium they are responsible for selecting and managing subs, managing material purchases and for all work being performed to spec (this is a financial risk for the GC also - if work needs to be redone it's on their dime).
It sounds like you're still planning to select the subs and you just want oversight - like a foreman. If that's the case I would expect you would pay less than 10%. It would also depend on whether you believe this will be a fulltime job for the life of the project. If it is you might be able to pay an hourly rate. In either scenario the final fee, may depend on your local labor market. Finding trustworthy, knowledgeable contractors is still tough in our markets.
Lender · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 214 votes
3y
It depends on the scope and what exactly the GC or project manager is responsible for. Like will he be hiring and firing the subs? Choosing material? Or will you be heavily involved and readily available for questions? Once you have that narrowed down, interview at least 3 GCs with references & see what you come up with.
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y
Depends on the contractor, they usually won't tell you their fee on top of what they're paying. Just give you a total number, how they come up with it is beyond me. If you're hiring a project manager separately 10% is appropriate
How much do you typically pay contractors for cosmetic renovations? Typically, I sub everything out and average $15,000 - $22,000 unit for full cosmetic renovations. Here, I want to delegate this job to a contractor to supervise, pay, manage subcontractors but I'm having trouble coming up with a fee.
There's 18-units for this particular project and I want to throw other units at the contractor once I purchase. Is 10% of cost reasonable? Thanks,
Tony
Not every contractor subs everything out. If its all cosmetic you can probably fine a mid tier staffed company that is fully staffed. In that case you don't need to worry about mark ups or %'s they will provide a quote and handle all work in house. We have a construction arm that caters to investors, we provide a scope of work to get the place rent ready, a hard quote to do the work with options, and an open portal for you to see the work being done. Our clients get daily logs showing progress with detailed notes from the on site foreman. Our customers can see all of this through our software so they do not have to stop by the job.
I think there are many mid tier construction companies in every market. If you pick one that is too small, they can't handle the volume and have no business systems, if you pick one that is to big they will have too much overhead and the numbers won't make sense. Find the right company and it can be a great benefit to you and them.
Most important aspect of this relationship is transparency and honesty. Bad contractors will nickle and dime you to death and drag out jobs forever because they are taking on too many at one time.