Stuck on where to invest - CA/ OR/ WA

Stuck on where to invest - CA/ OR/ WA

Real Estate Agent · San Francisco · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I am a commercial real estate agent in the San Francisco Bay Area selling apartment buildings and mixed use properties. While the commissions I make are very good due to the price point of commercial properties in my area, I cant seem to find any way to make sense of investing where I sell these properties. I therefor have been looking out of state for quite some time but I am still torn with where to buy. I know how to analyze and underwrite a deal since I do this everyday but the real question is...

1. Do I find somewhere in California outside the bay area that is more affordable like Sacramento and buy an apartment building there so I can keep my investment local and more hands on?

2. Or do I buy something in Portland or Vancouver Washington where I do spend quite a bit of time in due to my business partner living there. 

I know CA properties don't cash flow as much if any but we have appreciation over anyone. I am ok with minimal cash flow if I know I am making up for it in other ways. For the price of what we can spend on an investment property in CA we would most likely end up with 2-4 units in Sacramento area but in SE Washington or Portland I can buy 5-10 units if I really wanted to and I know its units over smaller buildings that make the money. 

Thoughts on this anyone?

0Reply
13 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2015 · 734 posts · 511 votes
    3y

    Neither?!

    Why buy in tenant friendly states? With the worsening laws and regulations I'd stay clear from every tenant friendly state and look for landlord friendly state with no state income tax. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2022 · 238 posts · 102 votes
    3y

    Agree on the above. Buy in landlord friendly states. Our generation is becoming a renters generation. So as a landlord if you're planning on expanding your portfolio, first thing you want for yourself is to be protected. Florida is the way to go!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y

    The main issue is Multnomah county and specifically the city of Portland.. if you invest outside those areas landlord laws are not what everyone makes them out to be.

    better deals are had as U move south from PDX  and SW Washington can work but careful of low end type situations.

    No income tax in Wa as well.

    and for the Texas idea keep in mind property tax's are sky high along with on going weather and soil issues so you want to be very careful there its not all about eviction laws.

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    The main issue is Multnomah county and specifically the city of Portland.. if you invest outside those areas landlord laws are not what everyone makes them out to be.

    better deals are had as U move south from PDX  and SW Washington can work but careful of low end type situations.

    No income tax in Wa as well.

    and for the Texas idea keep in mind property tax's are sky high along with on going weather and soil issues so you want to be very careful there its not all about eviction laws.


     I would echo some of this.  I own over 100 multifamily units in PDX + metro area.  The problem will be is our new governor (Kotek) is a complete troll to landlords.  What was once "just PDX" will become the entire state...  Vacancy rent control is coming.  I've been in meetings with her and she has outright lied to my face.  I've lived here 40+yrs...   

  • Scott ScovilleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 497 posts · 272 votes
    3y

    Hey Angelo, I'm an investor and realtor in Sac. I just DM'd you.

    Scoville Realty & Investments LLC
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.