Old, Small Multifamily HVAC

Old, Small Multifamily HVAC

Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
Good morning! I'm going to be closing on an old multifamily property at the end of the month, and I'm considering my HVAC options. The property currently has a boiler servicing three units with radiators, which is in good condition. The problem is that the property gets really hot in the summer, and it only has an attic fan. I want to add AC to this property and leave the boiler in place. The option I keep coming back to is ceiling mounted cassettes. I can't do central AC with no furnace, and wall mounted mini splits will look terrible. Window AC is not the best because the property has the original windows, and most window units aren't made for historic windows with storms over them.

I want to preserve the character of the property, so smaller units mounted in the ceiling will be the least noticeable. What I don't like is that I anticipate the price will be very high. What options might you all consider in this circumstance? Have any of you used ceiling mounted cassettes in a multi-zone setup?
0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 31 votes
1y

I would get quotes first and then decide what to do. I would also ask the hvac companies (min 3) what they would recommend. They do this day in day out and typically will have come across the same situation that you're in. i.e. radiator, summer is hot, old house, what to install for summer coolin? 

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Account Closed

    What is the turnover on this type of property? I would hate to be a resident and have issues every summer. 

    If the cost is going to be high, try to negotiate a concession from the seller. Not sure how bad the mini splits would be, but they are very efficient and work really well.

  • San Francisco Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 31 votes
    1y

    I would get quotes first and then decide what to do. I would also ask the hvac companies (min 3) what they would recommend. They do this day in day out and typically will have come across the same situation that you're in. i.e. radiator, summer is hot, old house, what to install for summer coolin? 

  • Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Gino Barbaro:

    @Account Closed

    What is the turnover on this type of property? I would hate to be a resident and have issues every summer. 

    If the cost is going to be high, try to negotiate a concession from the seller. Not sure how bad the mini splits would be, but they are very efficient and work really well.


    Very low turnover, but the units are about 15-20% below market, as well. It's a very desirable area, and it's a good property, but I think a few quality of life things are holding it back. The owner has not been very hands on since they moved out. I've already gotten some good concessions from the owner, so I don't think I can swing this, as well. I don't mind putting the money in, necessarily, but I want to do it right.

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Account Closed

    They are 15-20% below because of the AC problem. Once you do address that, I agree you'l be able to achieve your goal. What makes the property a good one?

    Congrats!

  • Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @David Liu:

    I would get quotes first and then decide what to do. I would also ask the hvac companies (min 3) what they would recommend. They do this day in day out and typically will have come across the same situation that you're in. i.e. radiator, summer is hot, old house, what to install for summer coolin? 

    Yeah, this is really always the right answer, eh? I appreciate it.
  • Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Gino Barbaro:

    @Account Closed

    They are 15-20% below because of the AC problem. Once you do address that, I agree you'l be able to achieve your goal. What makes the property a good one?

    Congrats!

    It's a pretty rare property in the Springs, in a desirable neighborhood. High build quality. Tree-lined, walk able, 1-2 blocks from the strip. Many houses like this in the city have been pretty badly butchered in the past to split them into 6 studios, but this one hasn't. It's set up as a triplex, but it looks like it was originally a duplex, so nothing crazy. HVAC, wiring, and most of the plumbing is modern.
    There is opportunity to add 1-2 rooms to one of the units without hacking up anything already there. It's just the AC and some deferred maintenance that it really needs. 

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Account Closed

    Just make sure you have the proper COs, and it is in fact a legal Triplex.

    What is your exit strategy on this deal?

  • Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Gino Barbaro:

    @Account Closed

    Just make sure you have the proper COs, and it is in fact a legal Triplex.

    What is your exit strategy on this deal?

    Yep, it's legal. We had a bit of drama while working through it, but it's cleared. I intend to hold this long term. If I do sell, it would be to 1031 into a larger multifamily/bed and breakfast.
  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Account Closed

    If there's no drama, then there's no value to add. LOL. Congrats on the deal

    Gino

  • Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes
    1y

    You could try a Ptac unit like in a hotel.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    is there an attic.. set air handler and go into ceiling with round supplies

  • Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Paul Morton:

    is there an attic.. set air handler and go into ceiling with round supplies


    There is an attic, but I'm going to evaluate whether or not I can finish it. The footprint of the building is about 1600 sq feet, so I think I may be able to put a couple bedrooms up there, making a third floor. Using that space would be a last resort, but it is an option.
  • Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Craig Janet:

    You could try a Ptac unit like in a hotel.


    Looking at this, thanks!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.