Panel Upgrade for 8-Unit Building — 250A vs 600A? Square D vs Eaton? Worth the cost?

Panel Upgrade for 8-Unit Building — 250A vs 600A? Square D vs Eaton? Worth the cost?

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi BP community,

Looking for real-world experience from multifamily owners or investors who’ve done a panel upgrade.

I have an 8-unit building in Santa Clara, CA, and I’ve received 3 quotes to replace the main service panel & meter bank (9 meters total, including common laundry).

What differs across the bids:

  • 600A Eaton meter bank 

  • Square D panel but amp size not specified

  • One bid includes the laundry subpanel

  • Some bids don't include permit/engineering/stucco patching

  • Prices range from $19K to $38K some not including permit fees.

Current setup:

  • 1960s building

  • Gas water heaters

  • Shared laundry

  • Upgraded kitchen appliances over time

  • All tenants have window AC units, 

  • No EV chargers yet

Questions:

  1. Did you go 250A or 600A on your small multifamily upgrade?

  2. Did anyone regret not upsizing?

  3. Any brand preference in the long run (Square D vs Eaton)?

  4. Anything you wish you’d known about engineering/permit costs before starting?

  5. Thank you so much.

0Reply
54 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    10mo

    @Shuchi Gupta

    Hey Shuchi,

    For an 8-unit building, most owners I’ve seen stick with 250A unless you’re planning EV chargers or major future upgrades. Upsizing to 600A is usually overkill and adds significant cost. Between Square D and Eaton, both are reliable, so I’d focus more on contractor familiarity and local service support. Make sure your quotes include permits, engineering, and any wall/patch work—those often add up unexpectedly.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Shuchi Gupta:

    Hi BP community,

    Looking for real-world experience from multifamily owners or investors who’ve done a panel upgrade.

    I have an 8-unit building in Santa Clara, CA, and I’ve received 3 quotes to replace the main service panel & meter bank (9 meters total, including common laundry).

    What differs across the bids:

    • 600A Eaton meter bank 

    • Square D panel but amp size not specified

    • One bid includes the laundry subpanel

    • Some bids don't include permit/engineering/stucco patching

    • Prices range from $19K to $38K some not including permit fees.

    Current setup:

    • 1960s building

    • Gas water heaters

    • Shared laundry

    • Upgraded kitchen appliances over time

    • All tenants have window AC units, 

    • No EV chargers yet

    Questions:

    1. Did you go 250A or 600A on your small multifamily upgrade?

    2. Did anyone regret not upsizing?

    3. Any brand preference in the long run (Square D vs Eaton)?

    4. Anything you wish you’d known about engineering/permit costs before starting?

    5. Thank you so much.


    With window ac units, even with gas water heaters and appliances, I would think 250 would be too small. 400A would be the smallest I would go.Note not an electrician. Long run If I am upgrading I would probably go to the 600A.

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.