Preapprovel – Owner-Occupying, Looking for Advice on buying duplexes

Preapprovel – Owner-Occupying, Looking for Advice on buying duplexes

Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Hey everyone,

I’m excited to say I’ve been preapproved by my bank to purchase property in the Pittsburgh area. Specifically looking for a duplex. My plan is to owner-occupy—live in one unit and rent out the other. This will be my first multifamily purchase, and I’m trying to be as prepared as possible before I go under contract. I’d really appreciate insight from anyone with experience in Pittsburgh or with house hacking duplexes. Specifically, I’m hoping to learn more about: 

What to look for in a turnkey duplex (red flags, must-haves, common issues)

How to properly run the numbers

Rent assumptions

Vacancy, maintenance, CapEx

Cash flow vs. breakeven for owner-occupants

Tips and tricks for being a first-time landlord

Basically anything you wish you knew before buying your first duplex 

Maybe pittsburgh-specific advice (neighborhoods, rent expectations, taxes, utilities, etc.) I want to stay on the Northside of the city if possible. 

I’m also very open to learning alongside someone more experienced—whether that’s informal mentorship, deal analysis walkthroughs, or just sanity-checking assumptions.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction. I’ve learned a ton from this community already and appreciate everyone willing to share their experience.

0Reply
166 views

Most Popular Reply

Jeremy TaggartBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
7mo

@Matt Moore I'd go 3-4 units if you can, duplexes are tougher to cash flow at high leverage now with the rates/prices being higher.

It's still doable to have pretty much your whole mortgage covered while living there in a decent area with 3-4 units in Pittsburgh.

Vacancy 5-10%, Repairs and capex $80-$120/unit/month depending on the property and area, and property management as well if you decide you want to eventually do that 10-12% factoring in lease up fees.

I house hacked 7 times and my criteria on my last few was finding the most expensive 3-4 unit I could, while still being at least break even from day 1 using market rents while fully rented out. That will typically give you the highest ROI when you factor in principal paydown, appreciation, and depreciation. The cheaper ones might cash flow a tad better, but won't give you as high of an ROI once you factor in all 4 wealth generators. Not in all cases but in most.

House hacking is a trade off of being comfortable versus the numbers on a sliding scale pretty much. So figuring out where you want to be on that scale up front generally helps you nail down areas/property type.

DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team590 Reviews
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mayo GilfurtPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Connecticut Ct · Member since 2026 · 130 posts · 30 votes
    7mo

    Congrats on the preapproval — that’s a big first step.

    For a first owner-occupied duplex, I’d focus on a few fundamentals:

    • True rent comps, not seller pro forma (especially unit-by-unit)

    • Mechanical separation (utilities, furnaces, electric) — this matters more than people realize

    • Deferred maintenance on roofs, sewer lines, and foundations — older duplexes hide costs

    • Local taxes and reassessment risk after purchase

    On the Northside specifically, block-by-block matters a lot, so walking the area at different times of day helps more than spreadsheets alone.

    Keep your first deal boring and forgiving — strong cash flow beats aggressive assumptions. The second deal is where you can stretch.

    Sounds like you’re approaching this the right way. Best of luck on the search.

  • Jeremy TaggartBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
    7mo

    @Matt Moore I'd go 3-4 units if you can, duplexes are tougher to cash flow at high leverage now with the rates/prices being higher.

    It's still doable to have pretty much your whole mortgage covered while living there in a decent area with 3-4 units in Pittsburgh.

    Vacancy 5-10%, Repairs and capex $80-$120/unit/month depending on the property and area, and property management as well if you decide you want to eventually do that 10-12% factoring in lease up fees.

    I house hacked 7 times and my criteria on my last few was finding the most expensive 3-4 unit I could, while still being at least break even from day 1 using market rents while fully rented out. That will typically give you the highest ROI when you factor in principal paydown, appreciation, and depreciation. The cheaper ones might cash flow a tad better, but won't give you as high of an ROI once you factor in all 4 wealth generators. Not in all cases but in most.

    House hacking is a trade off of being comfortable versus the numbers on a sliding scale pretty much. So figuring out where you want to be on that scale up front generally helps you nail down areas/property type.

    DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    7mo

    Matt, Congrats! Owner-occupied duplex is one of the smartest ways to enter multifamily. I am not in Pittsburgh but I always recommend first time duplex buyers run numbers with both best-case and stress-tested scenarios before going under contract. The deal has to work on paper before it works in real life.

  • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7mo

    I've been viewing properties trying to decide what I believe is a good fit for me. If I like a property with a tenant how would I choose who to kick out so I can move in? And also my Agent stated that they shopped around for a better rate for me and found one. Do you think it's for my better interest or should I be wary? I didn't sign any agreement or paperwork with them yet. 

    • Jeremy TaggartBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Matt Moore:

      I've been viewing properties trying to decide what I believe is a good fit for me. If I like a property with a tenant how would I choose who to kick out so I can move in? And also my Agent stated that they shopped around for a better rate for me and found one. Do you think it's for my better interest or should I be wary? I didn't sign any agreement or paperwork with them yet. 

      @Matt Moore The leases transfer with the sale, so you'll want to find a place that has at least one of the leases coming due within 60 days or so after closing if there aren't any vacant units. Then you can just give them notice that you aren't renewing their lease since you have to move into one of the units. Sometimes leases have a sales clause in them as well stating if the property sells you can make changes on the leases with 30-60 days notice.

      When it comes to interest rates on mortgages you have to look at the fees as well. You could have the same rate with two different lenders but one might charge 2-3x the fees of the other.

      DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team590 Reviews
      View Page
    • Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 9 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Matt Moore:

      I've been viewing properties trying to decide what I believe is a good fit for me. If I like a property with a tenant how would I choose who to kick out so I can move in? And also my Agent stated that they shopped around for a better rate for me and found one. Do you think it's for my better interest or should I be wary? I didn't sign any agreement or paperwork with them yet. 


       Your real estate agent shopped around for a better interest rate for you? 

      Or do you have a mortgage broker shopping rates for you?  I don't think you need a mortgage broker at this stage.  If your real estate agent found a lender w/ a better rate, it may be worth exploring, but just be mindful, is the rate only lower because there are additional points being added on?  Got to find the sweet spot balancing points versus rate... if you pay enough points you could get a rate in the 4%'s if you really wanted to.....  

      That being said, real estate agents typically have great connections, use them. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Matt Moore:

    Hey everyone,

    I’m excited to say I’ve been preapproved by my bank to purchase property in the Pittsburgh area. Specifically looking for a duplex. My plan is to owner-occupy—live in one unit and rent out the other. This will be my first multifamily purchase, and I’m trying to be as prepared as possible before I go under contract. I’d really appreciate insight from anyone with experience in Pittsburgh or with house hacking duplexes. Specifically, I’m hoping to learn more about: 

    What to look for in a turnkey duplex (red flags, must-haves, common issues)

    How to properly run the numbers

    Rent assumptions

    Vacancy, maintenance, CapEx

    Cash flow vs. breakeven for owner-occupants

    Tips and tricks for being a first-time landlord

    Basically anything you wish you knew before buying your first duplex 

    Maybe pittsburgh-specific advice (neighborhoods, rent expectations, taxes, utilities, etc.) I want to stay on the Northside of the city if possible. 

    I’m also very open to learning alongside someone more experienced—whether that’s informal mentorship, deal analysis walkthroughs, or just sanity-checking assumptions.

    Thanks in advance for any advice or direction. I’ve learned a ton from this community already and appreciate everyone willing to share their experience.


     I'd be careful about your relationship with your future tenants!

    What if you end up having to evict one - while living right next to them?

    Same issue applies to late fee charges, damages, etc.

    In my 30+ years of doing this, NO ONE has ever given me a logical/positive reason for telling a tenant you're the owner.
    -NOTE: decades ago, had an evicted tenant look me up and show up at my personal residence while I wasn't home, but they threatened my wife!
    --- The internet and AI have made it even easier to find someone😣

    You may want to put your property in an LLC, so you can legally tell tenants you are NOT the owner (the LLC is) and are just a PM or fellow tenant.

    Have YOUR mail go to a PO Box, so something identifying you as the owner (mortgage company or city) doesn't accidently end up in tenant's mailbox (or they snoop your mail).

    There are other ways to "hide" that you're the owner.

    Just be careful...

  • Jamie DietzBusiness Member
    Lender · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 175 posts · 90 votes
    7mo

    If you’re buying a 2–4 unit property, try to find one that was originally built as a multi-unit rather than a single-family house that was later cut up into apartments. 

    Single-family conversions can work, but they often come with quirks, low ceilings, awkward floorplans, shared systems, or questionable permitting which can hurt rentability and resale.

    I have learned this lesson....several times. 

    Next Door Capital514 Reviews
  • Elise Bickel TauberBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cranberry Twp · Member since 2017 · 384 posts · 198 votes
    6mo

    I haven't house hacked but I have helped a lot of clients who have house hacked and here are a few things I have found to be true. 1st, I would agree with Jeremy that if you can get a 3 or 4 unit I would go that route unless you have a reason not to. You should have more cash flow with 3 occupied units then if you are losing 50% of the income. 2nd, run the numbers as both if you are in the unit and when you eventually. move out. I have a lot of clients who move house-hack to house-hack so eventually you want to make sure that the numbers are what you want them to be when you move-out. 3rd, if you are going to live there you may not want to tell them you are the owner. I have seen a lot of my clients end up in weird situations with their neighboring tenants when they were aware they were the owner. Use a pm company if possible unless you don't want to loose that income. 4th, Really review the leases on the property. Just because the rents look good, do not miss out on all the other clauses in the lease. 

    Hope this helps a bit!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.