Floating Rate vs Fixed Rate Debt

Floating Rate vs Fixed Rate Debt

Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I'm a firm believer that floating bridge debt (even with rate caps), should never be used on deals that are 90%+ occupied.

Bridge Debt is an ok tool for distressed deals that a local bank won't touch, but only with the right structure in place. If you have to go bridge debt on the rare occasion, be sure that the LTV remains low (65% or less), keep 12+ months of debt service liquid, have a frothy renovation budget, buy a 3-year in-the-money rate cap, have reserves for a future rate If it's 90% occupied, then use Fannie, Freddie, CMBS, or bank debt

If it's under 90%, try to get fixed-rate CMBS or bank debt. Local banks often have great debt tools. Sure you sign a personal guarantee, but we have found excellent 5-year fixed renovation loans with our banking partners.

If it's a screaming good deal and for some reason a bank won't finance it, then consider bridge debt with a rate cap, with low leverage (65% or less).

Stop using it for a bread-and-butter value add. If you're an investor, ask the sponsor why they're using bridge debt. Some sponsors use it on every deal because it's cheaper or provides them with flexibility. I call BS. I've run the analysis and a fixed-rate agency loan with a step-down pre-payment is still cheaper than a bridge loan if you hold for more than 2 years. Plus, the fixed provides you with way less risk.

Let me hear your thoughts. Why is it ok to use floating bridge debt on a 90% occupied value-add deal?

0Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Coach · Frisco, TX · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 75 votes
4mo

@Todd Dexheimer

I agree 100%.

One reason someone might choose Bridge is if a property is already 90%+ occupied but still has a large CapEx plan. Agency lenders typically provide little to no CapEx funding, while Bridge lenders often fund 100% of the CapEx budget. However, reimbursement requests can be frustrating and much harder than expected with some lenders.

If you plan to hold a property short term, Bridge is usually the better option. That said, many investors got stuck in deals they couldn’t sell for enough to cover the loan, while refinancing required significant additional capital.

Bridge loans also usually have much smaller prepayment penalties. With agency and CMBS loans, those penalties can be enormous. So, you need to understand the differences between Step-Down, Yield Maintenance, and Defeasance. Step-Down has a known pre-pay. Yield Maintenance and Defeasance are not a fixed pre-pay. And, even a Step-Down can be very high...HUD is typically a 10% pre-pay and goes down 1% per year.

I sold a deal back in 2022 and the loan balance was $8.2M and my pre-payment penalty on a Fannie loan was $2.4M. If this had been Bridge, my pre-payment would have typically been much smaller.

Rate caps can help protect you on Floating Rate, but in the past they increased more than 3,400% in less than two years. When borrowers had to renew them, it often required substantial additional capital.

Bank debt can work too, but remember it will likely be full recourse.

There are many options available and if you are newer, you won't even know how to evaluate your options. I have a 35 column Excel that has everything I look for when evaluating loan types.

Overall...

I have burned enough with floating rate. I am mostly only interested in Fixed, Long-term, with a KNOWN Pre-Payment Penalty.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Coach · Frisco, TX · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 75 votes
    4mo

    @Todd Dexheimer

    I agree 100%.

    One reason someone might choose Bridge is if a property is already 90%+ occupied but still has a large CapEx plan. Agency lenders typically provide little to no CapEx funding, while Bridge lenders often fund 100% of the CapEx budget. However, reimbursement requests can be frustrating and much harder than expected with some lenders.

    If you plan to hold a property short term, Bridge is usually the better option. That said, many investors got stuck in deals they couldn’t sell for enough to cover the loan, while refinancing required significant additional capital.

    Bridge loans also usually have much smaller prepayment penalties. With agency and CMBS loans, those penalties can be enormous. So, you need to understand the differences between Step-Down, Yield Maintenance, and Defeasance. Step-Down has a known pre-pay. Yield Maintenance and Defeasance are not a fixed pre-pay. And, even a Step-Down can be very high...HUD is typically a 10% pre-pay and goes down 1% per year.

    I sold a deal back in 2022 and the loan balance was $8.2M and my pre-payment penalty on a Fannie loan was $2.4M. If this had been Bridge, my pre-payment would have typically been much smaller.

    Rate caps can help protect you on Floating Rate, but in the past they increased more than 3,400% in less than two years. When borrowers had to renew them, it often required substantial additional capital.

    Bank debt can work too, but remember it will likely be full recourse.

    There are many options available and if you are newer, you won't even know how to evaluate your options. I have a 35 column Excel that has everything I look for when evaluating loan types.

    Overall...

    I have burned enough with floating rate. I am mostly only interested in Fixed, Long-term, with a KNOWN Pre-Payment Penalty.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4mo

    @Todd Dexheimer, but bro.....  how am I going to get a deal to pencil to 20%+ IRRs with 7% day one cash flow on a 5% cap deal in Charlotte (or Raleigh or Dallas or Phoenix) if I don't take max bridge debt (and hide a little pref equity in there too)...

    I would agree there is a some nuance to your statement based on business plan, but even then, real estate is a great preservation of wealth.  It is not the best creator of wealth in the short term without significant risk.  

    As Mark alluded to, I think if there is a real repositioning plan that needs to take place with significant capex to add value, you can start to make a case.  And often, this requires taking a 90%+ occupied property and intentionally bringing it to, say, 50% or 0% occupied.  So maybe I am splitting hairs on your comment.  

    But, to add to Mark's comment, what is not a "large capex plan" is the typical syndicator value-add plan of renovating units with new cabinets, flooring and paint.  That is not "value-add", that is handling deferred maintenance.

    • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Evan Polaski:

      @Todd Dexheimer, but bro.....  how am I going to get a deal to pencil to 20%+ IRRs with 7% day one cash flow on a 5% cap deal in Charlotte (or Raleigh or Dallas or Phoenix) if I don't take max bridge debt (and hide a little pref equity in there too)...

      I would agree there is a some nuance to your statement based on business plan, but even then, real estate is a great preservation of wealth.  It is not the best creator of wealth in the short term without significant risk.  

      As Mark alluded to, I think if there is a real repositioning plan that needs to take place with significant capex to add value, you can start to make a case.  And often, this requires taking a 90%+ occupied property and intentionally bringing it to, say, 50% or 0% occupied.  So maybe I am splitting hairs on your comment.  

      But, to add to Mark's comment, what is not a "large capex plan" is the typical syndicator value-add plan of renovating units with new cabinets, flooring and paint.  That is not "value-add", that is handling deferred maintenance.


      There are a few qualifiers that make bridge a good option, but only after you've exhausted the other potential options. In 2025, we purchased a 60% occupied asset using local bank fixed-rate debt. This option saved us hundreds of thousands in fees, while giving us low-risk debt. We could have gone bridge to squeeze more out of the deal, but it wasn't worth the risk. Why layer risk on top of risk? 

      And yes, plenty of groups out there are buying in markets still that are using bridge debt just to get the deal to pencil. Unfortunately, there are a lot of LP's still investing in those deals. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Frisco, TX · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 75 votes
    4mo

    @Evan Polaski

    Bank loans are certainly an option. Every bank loan I have ever looked at is recourse. So, in reality, one could argue the risk going in can be higher vs. a non-recourse loan that you can typically get on Bridge. 

    With this said...you need to be very smart before you sign even on a non-recourse loan due to carve-outs. Make sure you redline the loan docs before you sign. 

    • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Mark Kenney:

      @Evan Polaski

      Bank loans are certainly an option. Every bank loan I have ever looked at is recourse. So, in reality, one could argue the risk going in can be higher vs. a non-recourse loan that you can typically get on Bridge. 

      With this said...you need to be very smart before you sign even on a non-recourse loan due to carve-outs. Make sure you redline the loan docs before you sign. 


       I would say recourse risk is higher for you personally, but less risky for your investors and the deal itself. But as you said, non-recourse carries a lot of personal risk if you don't read your loan docs. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Frisco, TX · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 75 votes
    4mo

    @Todd Dexheimer

    I certainly am not providing tax advice, but I could argue that a recourse loan that goes south and gets foreclosed on can be much worse than a non-recourse loan....even for the LPs. This is because Cancellation of Debt (COD) is generally taxable (1099-C) on a recourse loan and typically not taxable for non-recourse.


    This can vary depending on some variables though.


    But, I would certainly agree that a local bank likely has zero desire to take your property and will likely be easier to deal with than a Bridge lender...who in some cases are salivating to screw you and take your property. 

    • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Mark Kenney:

      @Todd Dexheimer

      I certainly am not providing tax advice, but I could argue that a recourse loan that goes south and gets foreclosed on can be much worse than a non-recourse loan....even for the LPs. This is because Cancellation of Debt (COD) is generally taxable (1099-C) on a recourse loan and typically not taxable for non-recourse.


      This can vary depending on some variables though.


      But, I would certainly agree that a local bank likely has zero desire to take your property and will likely be easier to deal with than a Bridge lender...who in some cases are salivating to screw you and take your property. 


       Great point! Neither of us are CPA's, but there are potential tax consequences to consider with recourse vs non-recourse. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Frisco, TX · Member since 2025 · 58 posts · 75 votes
    4mo

    @Todd Dexheimer

    I am technically a CPA. Got licensed over 30 years ago, but certainly DO NOT practice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.