what formula do i use for an apartment?

8 Replies

how do i make sure i would make money off it?

for example

price- 2.7million

12 units

8500 sq ft

225k per unit 

property sub type - garden low rise .. whatever that means

cape rate it 5.5%

100% occupancy

buitl 1850

.19 lot size

A 5.5 cap rate would indicate a 148,500 noi (rev-exp not including debt service). Debt service 25% down will be around 119,500 leaving about 27,000 for capex. Say 300 per door or 36000.  This puts you about 9000 in the hole if it was truly a 5.5 cap.  Your cash on cash is deep in the negatives.

@Jeff Greenberg can you explain how you formulated the NOI based on the figures provided (2.7 with a 5.5% cap)?

@Anita Oakley ,

To make the @ work, do the following:
Hold down the shift key and type @?
Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.
Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.
If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.
Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.
Raymond

@Jeff Greenberg Can you explain how you formulated the NOI based on the figures provided (2.7 with a 5.5%cap)?

@Anita Oakley  

(5.5%cap) .055*2,700,000=148,500 NOI

A 5.5 cap doesn't pay the bills unless you come in with a large down.  Then of course, the cash on cash takes a dump.

Investors buying at a 5.5 cap or lower are buying for several reasons IMHO.

1. Betting on appreciation

2. Capital preservation

3. Value add deal

4. Don't have a clue how to evaluate a property

5. Holding for loan pay off.

6. Need a loss to write off

Can anyone add anymore?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here