• Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
First LOI

Masroor Ahmed
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Aug 14 2014, 09:16

Hey BP folks - I'm a new investor and need some help getting over the challenge of getting deal number one.

While there's a ton written about due diligence check lists / process, I'd like some advice on pre-LOI diligence and getting comfortable enough to make an offer. How much leg work do you do before putting in an offer? Here are a few things I've hit on, but feeling nervous about putting in an LOI:

- research on surround area, demographics, businesses, general outlook

- walk through of building, saw 2 units of 8 with listing agent. Then drove by a couple times myself

- in the walk through, i evaluated as much as I could about the condition of the bldg, windows, age of appliances, common areas, water damage, etc.

- I'm a finance person, so I've evaluated the heck out of the math and varied scenarios

What am I missing? Adding to my caution, the property has been on the market for 3-4 months and the listing agent told me last week that they haven't seen any offers.  I even casually told him that the math doesn't work for me until i'm at a ~30% discount to current asking price.  Knowing that, he's still asking me to put in what I feel is a fair offer.  It probably doesn't matter, but my thought is he's either asking for an offer so he can claim at least one offer for his client (even if 30% lower than ask) or he really thinks the seller would consider this (I'm probably over thinking this last bit)...

Help =)

Loading replies...