Seller Carry Back Financing Question?

4 Replies

Hello,

I was wonder if anyone has success in using seller carry back financing on 6-12 unit apartment buildings.

My idea was to get the building financed with my own 20%, but after closing, have the seller carry back 10% with a 10-15 year note.

Are banks open to it or not really? Do you think the bank would have an issue if a lien is put on the property after the close for 10%?

Any ideas would be helpful,

Thank you,

Mark

I have done this on residential properties, not apartment buildings. As long as you have commercial/portfolio lending, the lenders are typically okay with it. You typically will do it as a part of closing, and the lender will factor it in while doing their underwriting.

I'm working on a 8 unit residential package right now where the seller is carrying a 2nd for 10% of the purchase price, with me only bringing in 10% down payment to closing. 

The note would obviously have to be 2nd, behind the first note of the lender. The current lender I'm working with increased their rate a "bit" because the CLTV is now 90% instead of 80%

we recently bought 32 units(8-4plexes) with 70% bank, 20% seller, and 10% me.

Arlan Potter I am currently starting to work a deal on a 48 unit apartment complex. Seller willing to carry back 18%. I would love to see how the numbers worked on yours if you had time.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here