Down payment for multifamily

9 Replies

Greetings BP Family, I am interested in purchasing multifamily properties but unfortunately I dont have the 20% to use for my down payment so I am trying use creative financing to obtain a property. My scenario is to have 75 to 80% financed by the bank, have the seller take back a 2nd of 10 to 15% and i would put 5-10% . Can anyone offer any suggestions in finding sources for down payment?

we just bought 32 units.  70% bank, 20% seller, 10% me. Total price $960,000.

That's great  Arlan, congratulations, I  hope I  will have an opportunity to  put a deal together like yours.

Arlan, did you have the bank financing in place first before you asked for the seller financing?

I don't know if you would be interested, but my wife and I just picked up a Fourplex for 0 down through the VA. If your not a Veteran there is FHA that you can can now use a 3% down. The catch is you have to live in the building for a year.

Always a good idea to be sure you're financable before looking for property.  And find out the details of the loan.  The kind of loans being discussed here (70% bank, 20% seller, 10% buyer) are commercial loans, not 30 year fixed rate.  So you will want to know your choices when you start analyzing your possible deals.

That last 10% is really YOUR cash that you need to bring to the deal.

To purchase my first multi-family, I got a loan from one of my retirement accounts (loan, not withdrawal).  

I had a fair amount saved in a 403b retirement account and I was able to get the rest of the down payment i needed via this loan.  I was able to decrease my equity exposure in the retirement account and it allowed me to fund a deal that still has positive cash-flow with less actual cash out of pocket.

Jason

I have been working with banks for years. Have a good relationship. I just assumed that we could get financing. We made our deal with the seller asking for the seller financing and the banks had no issue with financing 70% if sale price, which turned out to be 66% of appraised value.

Originally posted by @Arlan Potter :

I have been working with banks for years. Have a good relationship. I just assumed that we could get financing. We made our deal with the seller asking for the seller financing and the banks had no issue with financing 70% if sale price, which turned out to be 66% of appraised value.

That is pretty awesome.  I am searching everywhere in NW Washington for something close to that.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.