How to determine if a property is A,B or C class

4 Replies

How do you determine if a building is a certain class? Is it purely subjective or are there some kind of guidelines?

It's a long thread so I'm pasting the most important component here:

"There are no strict definitions of these terms. They're just rough grade people use to give an idea of what a property is like.

A: Newly built properties in the nicest areas.

B: Slightly older property, but still nice. Might be not quite as nice of an area.

C: Older properties. Likely really could use some work. Not the best areas. For investors, these are really the bread and butter for rentals.

D: Run down properties in bad areas.

The area and the property can be described separately. Its possible to have a run down property in a great area. Harder to have a great property in a bad area, though."

Credit to @jon holdman (He's a bigger pockets moderator so this definition is probably pretty solid)

We look at properties and areas separately. For example, you could be looking at a B property in an A location or vise versa.

Many value add investors look for B & C class properties in A & B locations.

Hope that makes sense.

I think what @sean said is true. I look for ABC locations then overlap it with the AS IS AB or C property (which can be lower or higher) than end up with a finished product A B or C.

So of course you want to look for a B or lower in a A location not a B or higher in a C location. It that clear as mud!/?. 

I flip in the C+ locations and higher and wholesale and rent in the C+ locations and lower. But that is just me. Good Luck

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here