Curious as to what BP members are using for their property management software needs.
Here is my criteria for selection of an online system
- 1.The best rental property software supports the property managers in handling the rental properties, condos or the landowner association groups. The key functions of software comprises of accepting the payments, plus recording income as well as expenses, the tracking of property repair with maintenance expenses and producing the financial statement on the monthly basis.
- 2.BANKING INTEGRATION - Through automatically connecting the property managing software to the property company’s accounts of the bank, electronic payments may instantly applied to the accounting records in the software system. This also accelerates the bank reconciliation procedure. To accelerate that procedure for manual checks, property owner bills that are scan- able must be mailed to the tenants in order that while they return the payments with scan code, that payment may be instantly applied to the correct account. For the accounts payable, this online property management software system should automatically print out the checks with update banking records meant for a correct balance.
- 3.RECORDKEEPING OF MAINTENANCE - All expenses incurred to maintain plus repair individual unit may be coded with individual detection so that the entire repair record of any unit is maintained by such system. To have such complete records makes it probable to compute the effectiveness of every unit, an aspect not accessible in various property management system software tools.
- 4.Marketing - Even though numerous property management programs focus mostly on accounting, any more useful element is for supporting marketing of the properties. Among all the capabilities of the system would be in keeping a database of the prospects with contact records for such prospects showing that marketing campaigns they were the part of. The marketing unit can also provide mailing labels to send mail a newsletter monthly to the existing tenants. From the advertising perspective, software should be able to track every advertising expense by the property, date, plus media utilized. It may also associate every sale with certain advertising campaign to help in calculating that marketing campaigns produced the finest results. An additional ability can be calculating significant marketing metric like the average number of the months a tenant inhabited in the property with the help of the residential property management software with the average existence value of the average tenant.
- 5.SECURITY WITH RECOVERABILITY - This software system must also manage access to it with related data by the person who is accessing the application, physical workstation employed, this application being accessed and instance of the day. There must also be a total audit trail of who altered what record as well as when they altered it. From the recoverability perspective, if there was damage to information or physical PC, this application must always be backing up its each data with the operating system on the real time basis to the off-site place.
Love to hear your thoughts, we are in the process of upgrading and looking at a wide range of vendors.
Our company uses the following:
MRI- Resident info, ledgers, work orders, leases, balance letters, financial reports.
LRO- Pricing system
Profitstars- check scans directly to bank
Property Solutions- Residents can do online payments, work orders and contact emails. Integrated with MRI.
There are more but these are the main programs.
@Nicolas Paez - I went from using an excel spreadsheet to Buildium. So my only experience is with Buildium, and I love it.
A property manager of mine just switched from Yardis to Buildium when she started her own company and she also gave Buildium high reviews.
I too use Buildium. I have no complaints so far, and it does all of the things you mentioned.
We use Rentec. It's by no means a perfect system but I tried Buildium as well and liked this one much more.
I have tried Buildium and while it works fine for smaller properties, it really does not address all my concerns above. Does anyone have experience with RESMAN
We use Appfolio for all of our rentals. We can't say enough good things about this software, although there is a learning curve in learning to use the software. It makes tenant interaction (using portals) seamless. And we can watch all the complexs online , anytime.
How many units?
You must be a BiggerPockets member to post on the forums
Join the world's largest, most open Real Estate Investing Community online, 100% free forever!