Mowing costs.

13 Replies

I have a small multi-family property on a large lot and with the heavy rains we got this year in Indiana mowing has turned out to be quite expensive.  My rough numbers indicate that it may be 7-8% of my gross income this year. The cost per mow is pretty low, but I do leave the frequency up to the person mowing (it's a neighbor).  Does anyone else have numbers this high?

My mowing costs are between 1.4% and 2% of gross rent. Even in SWFL where the grass grows quickly this time of year we only mow twice a month. Leaving the frequency up to someone else isn't the best idea. We try to put as little expense into costs of that sort as possible and yes maybe the grass is a little long a few days a month, but by the time anyone would care it is already cut again.

@Anthony G That seems very very high.. Leaving it up to a neighbor is very strange and confusing...Why not set a schedule so you have more control over the property and your money?

I know it's not ideal, but the price per mow is below what anyone else would charge and they also plow the driveway for free in the winter.  This year has been higher than ever before, and I may have to come to a bi-monthly arrangement next year.  I'm still interested in what others spend because it looks like even if I cut mowing in half I'm still going to be higher than everyone else.

$15.00 a cut twice a month for a yard between .25 and .5 acres, this includes cutting,  edging, blowing and weed whacking. Given we have a very large quantity of properties and we strip our rentals down to just grass and trees to cut overhead on maintenance. We also pay $100.00 once a year to have an annual trimming done on the trees.

When you scale it makes much more sense just to strip everything down and lose the curb appeal, when we go to sell a property we install all new "pretty" plants and have the landscape look brand new for marketing. The overall savings on maintenance more than pays for the added expense of throwing in new plants.

@Parker Detweiler that's a very good rate!

I typically pay $25 per cut here in Indy.  In the spring [or this past wet summer] I had them mow weekly.

With a $1000 rent that's about 10% a month for 4-6 months.  The later summer months, we only have them mow bi-weekly.

Of course I don't pay this for occupied homes because all of our homes the tenants must mow their own yards - even duplexes.

@Anthony G I assume your small multi unit is over 3 units?  If so, then the landlord usually takes care of the yard work.

Can you share what you are paying as well?

@Shawn Holsapple

I pay $35 a mow and the lot is just under an acre.  It's actually a duplex, how do you divide mowing responsibility between the two tenants?

Originally posted by @Anthony G :

@Shawn Holsapple

I pay $35 a mow and the lot is just under an acre.  It's actually a duplex, how do you divide mowing responsibility between the two tenants?

They each mow half and store their mower either in an on-site shed or in the unfinished basement.

I do not allow any tenants to do any maintenance, as they aren't very inclined to maintain something properly that they do not own.

My mowing expenses in Central California have dropped this year.  I wonder why.

Frank

Frank Romine, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01957844)

@Parker Detweiler

That is usually my sentiment as well.  I worry that their maintenance practices might actually depreciate the property.  However, in the past I have let some tenants replace faucets and small things like if I thought they were qualified.

@Shawn Holsapple

One of the problems is that I face is that there is no outdoor storage or basement so the mower would have to sit in the yard or I'd have to buy a storage shed. 

@Anthony G

I would never let a tenant tough a thing, make the properties as cheap to maintain as possible.

Originally posted by :

@Shawn Holsapple

One of the problems is that I face is that there is no outdoor storage or basement so the mower would have to sit in the yard or I'd have to buy a storage shed. 

I would be sure to add to the rent to offset this expense you are incurring then.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.