Buying RE in a different state than your own?

Buying RE in a different state than your own?

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 6 votes

Hi there! Newbie here. I'm really excited to get into REI and have been searching my area for quite some time.
But the prices are too high and/or not worth it to invest here since the Cash on Cash ROI average about 4-8%.
I know I can personally do better in the stock market or peer to peer lending with those rates.

So I've been talking to a couple buddies out of state (OH, MN, ID, etc..) where the markets aren't as crazy as the greater Seattle area.
And I have been baffled by how cheap the prices are and have run some calculations which provide a way better return

I'm under no illusion that I can ask the same rent prices they do here in the Seattle area, but am gathering an average from other rentals in the area.

The problem is, that OH, MN, ID are not around the corner and driving over to check out the property to see if things are still alright is not an easy task.

How have you dealt with buying property out of state? Using a good property management company is key I'm assuming, what else should I watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

1Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 10 votes
10y
Hey Michael, I live in LA and currently am buying in Maine. I think the key is that you need a team in whichever market you're in. It's not crazy to do it at a distance but you need to have the keys in place. Start with a realtor you can trust. That will be the point guard to your team-at least has been for me- to finding most properties, management, contractors, etc. it did help that I had somewhat of a foundation already. I own a vacation property and lived there - but I lived there nearly 15 years ago. Regardless, you'd be surprised how knowing just a couple of people in the commentary will help you find others. Secondly, run the numbers everywhere you look. If the numbers work on a property then it should tell you that people are at least interested in living in the area. Don't get sold on that but it's a good indication. There could be crazy things happening in the area that would make it turn bad, you'll never know unless you get out there and look HOWEVER a good trustworthy realtor will already know these things and they won't steal you into a place that has bad upside potential especially if they think you're going to be a loyal investor. For me, I am looking in my original home state of Texas now, but I know what the coast of maine has done for my current properties and so although the properties are older they are built like brick ----houses. Some people would be scared of that but I know the market and the structures of the houses and I can see how they withstand. Bottom line, do some research on the two of property you're interested to invest and look at that market. See how things have weathered the ups and downs of the economy. If you have a friend somewhere you've always been curious about, might be time to make a visit. Good luck! Kaylyn (sent from my phone so sorry for any typos)
See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    10y
    Hey Michael, I live in LA and currently am buying in Maine. I think the key is that you need a team in whichever market you're in. It's not crazy to do it at a distance but you need to have the keys in place. Start with a realtor you can trust. That will be the point guard to your team-at least has been for me- to finding most properties, management, contractors, etc. it did help that I had somewhat of a foundation already. I own a vacation property and lived there - but I lived there nearly 15 years ago. Regardless, you'd be surprised how knowing just a couple of people in the commentary will help you find others. Secondly, run the numbers everywhere you look. If the numbers work on a property then it should tell you that people are at least interested in living in the area. Don't get sold on that but it's a good indication. There could be crazy things happening in the area that would make it turn bad, you'll never know unless you get out there and look HOWEVER a good trustworthy realtor will already know these things and they won't steal you into a place that has bad upside potential especially if they think you're going to be a loyal investor. For me, I am looking in my original home state of Texas now, but I know what the coast of maine has done for my current properties and so although the properties are older they are built like brick ----houses. Some people would be scared of that but I know the market and the structures of the houses and I can see how they withstand. Bottom line, do some research on the two of property you're interested to invest and look at that market. See how things have weathered the ups and downs of the economy. If you have a friend somewhere you've always been curious about, might be time to make a visit. Good luck! Kaylyn (sent from my phone so sorry for any typos)
  • Investor · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y

    I invest in California, Texas and Indiana and it's always about the team you have. The property management team is the most important so do not choose hastily. Vet property management properly and call every company you can. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Falmouth, ME · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Kaylyn T. What part of Maine are you currently investing in?
  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, ME · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 54 votes
    10y

    There are opportunities a little outside of the hot markets, I've found. The Portland, Maine market is hot and the high prices keep smaller multiunit properties from cash flowing. The equity gains are strong in Portland, though. Just a few towns over the prices are lower and the properties cash flow. Going a few more towns away, the prices are cheaper and the cash flows are stronger, however the equity gains aren't there. 

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Michael D.

    T find out about an area go to IREM.org search for ARM certified property managers. Call 5 ask them what they see expenses running per category per unit. What do they see them selling for per unit, what is the market occupancy rate. What are the market rents? Ask them if they know anything coming up for sale. Great way to pick up some good info and possibly a deal.

    You can also search NARPM.org for the RMP (Residential Management Professional) and MPM (Master Property Manager) certified.

  • Wholesaler · Union, ME · Member since 2016 · 148 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Are you investing in Maine? Ifso, where?

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y
    I'm from Minnesota and have a duplex in south Minneapolis. I bought a wonderful duplex 2 years ago in a trendy area where applicants are lined up looking for rentals. The problem is that 2 years I bought it for 180k and now if cannot find anything of similar quality for under 250k. My cars on cash is 15% and that is after major renovations to the upstairs unit. It was closer to 19%. So I'm gonna continue to wait for another housing crash and in the meantime invest in the S&P 500 while the market is down.
  • Real Estate Agent · vancouver , WA · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Michael your in the right place ask BP for references in the area you are interested in and they will refer people they work with. If you want some one to do it all for you there are some company's like Realwealthnetwork.com  they find rehabbers and managers in certain markets and do it all for you.

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael D.:

    Hi there! Newbie here. I'm really excited to get into REI and have been searching my area for quite some time.
    But the prices are too high and/or not worth it to invest here since the Cash on Cash ROI average about 4-8%.
    I know I can personally do better in the stock market or peer to peer lending with those rates.

    So I've been talking to a couple buddies out of state (OH, MN, ID, etc..) where the markets aren't as crazy as the greater Seattle area.
    And I have been baffled by how cheap the prices are and have run some calculations which provide a way better return

    I'm under no illusion that I can ask the same rent prices they do here in the Seattle area, but am gathering an average from other rentals in the area.

    The problem is, that OH, MN, ID are not around the corner and driving over to check out the property to see if things are still alright is not an easy task.

    How have you dealt with buying property out of state? Using a good property management company is key I'm assuming, what else should I watch out for?

    Thanks in advance!

    Hello Michael,

    Welcome to BP and REI! What you asking makes a great point. I know many investors who wish to invest out of state due to the cost of renting in their own cities. Many times people who live on the coasts want to invest in the Midwest, or some other states you mentions. Prices in that market is still much more affordable and rent is still great.

    Some options you might want to think of are turnkeys, or property management as you stated.

    When you live out of state, is not easy to manage your own property. If you cannot drive to it at a whim, it is nice to have someone who can.

    Always do research on whomever you are looking into, Make sure they are the real deal and they will be able to give you proper management for your buck. It is your property after all, and you want to make sure they care for it as you would if you were there.

    Please feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

  • Investor · Herndon, VA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    @Michael D.if you don't have time and resources to build the foundation like finding the realtor, contractors, PM company then other way is to find reputable turnkey providers in the area you are interested to invest. Many investors out of state with not enough time/skills go that route to get into REI space if backyard RE market is not viable option. Ensure to vet them heavily along with the area and product and do visit the place. Never buy sight unseen and understand what you are doing. Just my 2 cents from a different angle

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Hey @Account ClosedI'm in mid-coast, looking Thomaston - Belfast. Are you in the area? If so, message me lets connect.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Whitestown, IN · Member since 2014 · 547 posts · 933 votes
    10y

    I agree with @Omar Ruiz. I work in Property Management in Indianapolis and vet deals for my clients all of the time. I know that Indy is a hot place to invest because most of my investors are out of state or out of the country. I would recommend staying away from the one-stop shop (rehabbers / property mangers) as they are usually more interested in selling homes than managing them. Find other investors in the area and ask for recommendations. Be sure to interview them. Research their online reviews. Research the types of homes they currently have available for rent. Ask for referrals.

    Personally, I don't think fees are as important because the lower cost guys typically either have hidden fees or provide poor property management that creates avoidable costs. In the end, fees end up relatively similar. Look for someone professional, who has a pulse on the local market, has a good reputation, understands the local market and industry, and is well networked. It's a tough industry and it's easy to get a bad reputation. If a PM is not a good one, it's not too hard to figure it out with a little due diligence. There are over 250 realtors, investors, contractors, and property managers who offer property management in Indianapolis and I personally believe that 90% of them do poor work. There are plenty of forums and blog posts on how to find a good property manager and what to look for.

    If you haven't already... listed to the Podcast with Chris Clothier. There is a good amount of information about property management in that broadcast.

    Best of Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone for the massive amount of information, I'll definitely heed them all moving forward!

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hey Michael! Yep, you nailed it....it's all about the team. Your property manager has to be good or you'll be in trouble. But with the returns and prices available, there's a little time to recover from a bad one if you accidentally get stuck with one.

    I live in LA and have always bought out-of-state for the same price/returns reason. Happy to help if you need anything!

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Michael D.Would you buy a stock because the companies headquarters are in your hometown and you can drive by it to make sure the employees aren't trashing the building? OK, I'm being a little facetious (just a little though). The problem is that because real estate is a physical and tangible asset, people treat it differently than other asset classes. You really need to shift your mindset from that of a landlord to that of an investor. The big equity funds like Blackstone and American Homes 4 Rent own tens of thousands of single family homes throughout the country and they don't have people driving around checking on them. The key is to have really strong property management that you can trust and count on. There's no question that investing outside of your home state has more challenges but they can be overcome and sometimes you don't have any choice if your goal is cash flow and you live in a high cost market. I just did a webinar on how to buy in the best markets no matter where you live and in it a did a comparison of the economic and demographic fundamentals of some of the top markets. I'll be happy to share a link to a recording of the webinar if you want to watch it.

  • Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    Cash on Cash isn't the only return if your comparing it to the stock market. If your in Seattle a place people want to live you'll be paying a lot more upfront with a lower cash on cash return then some where people aren't flocking too. You might factor in the other ingredients before you buy appreciation, depreciation, and my favorite owing less! Just a thought

    I like the whole owing less every year the most, it's the only really guarantee if you'll keep other people paying your mortgage you'll owe less, if you have enough cash flow to a pay a 15 year or so payment and you look at interest savings in terms of return on investment it can be a rather surprising how good your overall return can be. But my exit strategy from the 9-5job is owning homes free and clear and collecting rent so when I buy and rehab something I look at it all in keep it forever terms

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Mike D'Arrigo Actually when I buy a mutual fund I visit every company HQ and interview all their senior leaders. Not really only if I had stocks.
  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y
    Lots of people invest out of state. For long term investments I do not unless it is near by in Mass. There just is not the same amount of control and it is a pain when something goes wrong if the property is hours and hours away. If your newer, I'd recommend learning your market and nailing a few solid deals in your general area to gain experience before branching out over large scale distances.
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Brandon Ingegneritrust me I would like nothing else, but the market is so inflated here that it really doesn't make much sense to do it. Especially when starting out. Scoping out properties in the midwest mainly, the rental property calculator is making overtime for sure :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    10y

    I know it's tough out there. I've done some business outside of Seattle. Quick wholesale flips mainly. You have to target a niche. You need the hoarder with 10 cats who can't get out of his own way. You turn a couple of those, and your in good shape. 

    One area that people fail to mention that is relatively close to you I guess that you could look into is Rapid City SD. Maybe something will pop. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 243 posts · 70 votes
    10y

    Michael-I live in California, invest in Texas.  The success secret has been and is reliable property management with high ethics/values and other investor connections who look for property there.

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    10y

    I agree with @Kaylyn T. you have to find a realtor that you can trust. Some who understands their market and will send you deals. Interview a few... as far as property management I would say you will probably find a great property manager from your agent in that area. Best of luck!

  • Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    The biggest hurdle for me is finding competent Realtors who will give you accurate comps and drive by the properties to take pictures.  I hold a real estate license, and am amazed at how unresponsive and sometimes clueless some agents are.  There is a wide range of knowledge and professionalism between agents, and you might have to go through some to find the one that you like.  I have made a list of agents that are "naughty" or "nice" so I know who to talk to in those area. I also prefer working with Keller Williams realtors because their training is so good. I haven't bombed out with any of them. You might also look for an agent that is a CRS or GRI designee. They have had some advanced training to get that designation. Hope this helps!

  • Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    ...and ditto what everyone is saying about property managers.  They can make the difference between profit and big losses!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
    10y

    I have invested out of state since 2006 and I an doing it profitably.  I did have a very steep learning curve but because I had money to cover all repairs and vacancies, I was able weather the storm.  A ground team in the area you want to invest is very important, but it does necessary have to be a property management company.  In fact, I feel that most pm are predatory in nature looking for prey.  Learning how to manage your own properties is time well invested in being a successful real estate investor.  It will definitely make a difference in the bottom line and can mean the difference in your making your investments cashflow or not.  I have bought 2 properties unseen.  One I had a ground team, one I did not.  In Houston, my handyman that I used to take of repairs on my other 4 properties there, was my eyes on the ground.  I was would pay him a small fee to go look at any property that I had found and give his opinion of the house, repair estimate, the area and also send me pictures of that property. You can also use a realtor for the purpose.  Also you can get opinion of the very helpful BP members in the area you are considering investing.  So if you making connection with no less than 2 members (3 or more is better) that when you take a trip to area, you can get the grand tour of their city.  You get a more rounded view of your targeted area.  I eventually found a property that work for me.  I also used GoogleMaps to take a tour of the area.  One thing I look for is trucks in the area, which would indicate it is a working class area.  Also I am checking to see if there is signs in the area of excess crime.  You can use www.spotcrime.com to see what is happening around the house within a 1 mile radius.  

    The 2nd house I bought in Memphis without feet on the ground, but I still did  my due diligence.  I use Googlemaps to check the area.  On Googlemaps make sure to check the date the tour was taken, for some may have been 2 years or older and not represent the house and area present state.  I also check for the home prices in the area by using www.eppraisal.com.  I use Eppraisal to see what is for sale and what have sold recent in that area at what price.  I also found out what was the zip codes that  would be ta better bet to invest in the city, which I did in doing a search on BP.  

    Real estate is the real deal.  If something sounds too good to be true when someone is pitching a deal, you better investigate with due diligence.  It could be a good deal but unlikely.

    I will continue invest out of state, but I want to continue to be increase my buy and hold properties.  That being said, I will in future when my resources are appropriate, I will invest here in L.A.

    Out of state properties are great to have for income. I love my properties out state because they have afforded me financial independence.  The real money is on the West Coast due to appreciation.  The problem with the high cost of entry and the time required to get the killer appreciation which come from owning property here.  You may have to wait for that magnificent pay day.  Or you may get lucky as I did and get in the right time with right situation. My Rome wasn't built in a day. That is okay because I am still growing it.  Good luck to you!















    O 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.