• Rental Property Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Investing with low money

Tripp Drummond
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Apr 19 2016, 12:14

Hey everyone, my name is Tripp and I just recently moved to Orlando about a month and a half ago. I am interested starting my real estate investing career but the problem is I don't have a ton of cash. A little background on myself: I just graduated from school and am 23 years old. I currently hold a job making 40k a year and my family does not really have a real estate background so I am fairly new to all of this. 

I know that I am interested in investing in small multifamily (duplex,Triplex) and holding on to them for the long haul. I have been on bigger pockets for about a month and have heard different things from different people about when to start investing. Is there ever a time where it is to early to start investing? I have heard Brandon Turner say that you need some extra cash just in case a deal goes bad, but at the same time if I find a deal ( a good one), I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity. I would love some feedback on when is the right time to start investing. 

I have found a Duplex here in the Orlando area that I am fairly interested in. I am wanting to house hack this property, as I see that house hacking can be a solid strategy to start your real estate investing career. Here are the numbers on the deal that I would love some feedback on:

Purchase Price: 180,000

Taxes: 2,259

Rent per Side:1,650  (Each side is a 3b/2b)

Hoa: none

Electricity/ Water: Tenant

Vacancy: 5% or $160

Maintenance: 10% or $320

CAPEX: 10% or $320

Management: 11% or $352   (would be managing myself)

Mortgage: $829 after getting an FHA loan for 3.5%

Total Operating Expense: $1,440

Monthly Income:$3200

Total Expenses with debt service: $2,269

Monthly Cash Flow: $930

Please let me know what you guys think of this deal and since I am fairly knew to this I would not putting it past me that I missed something when analyzing this deal. Thanks guys!

Tripp Drummond

Loading replies...